Discuss safe isolation of a light. views in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gregmac

Safe isolation

Take down a light after water leak

The neutral for the corcuit is looped at the light.

My view is with it being a looped neutral disconnect the live and neutral from the supply db

My mates is disconnect the sw fron light switch take down light put them in connector and a bit tape.

Who are use agreing with

but if you only want to isolate the one light, you need to preserve the loop in/out of both L and N so that the rest of the lights on that circuit will work. only answer is to wago the loop connections and enclose in suitable enclosure. disconnect the s/l/ form the switch or seal off the end at the light position.

Safe isolation

Take down a light after water leak

The neutral for the corcuit is looped at the light.

My view is with it being a looped neutral disconnect the live and neutral from the supply db

My mates is disconnect the sw fron light switch take down light put them in connector and a bit tape.

Who are use agreing with

If you disconnect the n at the db then you might loose more than one light!

If you feel safer or it would alleviate any worries you have, then disconnect both the line and neutral at the DB.
Myself, if I were just removing the fitting, I'd isolate at the switch.
If I were removing the rose as well, I'd isolate at the DB by either removing the fuse or switching the MCB/RCBO.
If the sytem was TT, I might also go so far as to disconnect the neutral.
Then again, it would be a lot easier to isolate by just using the main switch.

Another ridiculous thread, if you take the light down and isolate the neutral at the board then there is a very very strong chance other lights will not work as there are 2 neutrals there, stick a wago on the neutrals and isolate the switch wire, end of job done.

Reply to safe isolation of a light. views in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net