Discuss safe zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ineedhelp

Hi all

I am fitting an external socket to the outside wall of a domestic property. I am proposing dropping a cable down through the living area stud wall and then out to socket. Because there is a socket on the outside wall does this cable routed down and through the internal wall constitute a safe zone? My next point concerns same job, I am trying to interpret regs and sort of have an answer but would like a second opinion - The outside socket will be protected by an RCD however, does the cable feeding the new socket have to be protected by RCD - i do realise if the latter is true then the external RCD is not required. My interpretation is that additional sockets require RCD protection irrespective if they are safe zoned.

The chap is penny pinching and will take me town if i fit parts unnecessarily.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers Guys/Gals

What sort of external socket are you fitting? What sort of CU does the installation have fitted? Does the Ring Final circuit have existing RCD protection?

Last edited:
non protected circuitry, tnc-s system . IP Rated external socket with or without RCD protection depending on if i have to TCD circuit.

The way I read your situation CU without RCD protection to any circuits, you need to protect the new cable you are installing to feed the outside socket, by fitting a RCD fused spur at the point you take your new cable from, hope that sounds ok

Yeah, so RCD protection is required, I sort of got that from the regs but wanted to make sure.
Cheers guys.
As for bonding, it is 6mm bonding and after checking there seems to be no deterioration of the terminations everything looks fine - so bonding is ok at 6mm.

Goes without saying, generally always do a ZE, PFC and bonding check before quoting job - Takes a few mins and could get extra work. Cheers for the video, not seen the chap in that video for years LOL

Goes without saying, generally always do a ZE, PFC and bonding check before quoting job - Takes a few mins and could get extra work. Cheers for the video, not seen the chap in that video for years LOL

You know all this stuff why are you asking questions any sparks worth his salt should already know, so the question begs what's your game

No game here, I always air on the side of caution with sockets and RCD the circuit if not already done so at distributor box, however as i mentioned in my original post the chap will do his research after the fact and demand money back if I fit parts unnecessarily. I simply wanted others views on the situation. As for safe zoning was not sure if an outside socket would render the vertical on the inside wall a safe zone.

I might be reading this wrong but a outlet on the other side of a wall does not make the opposite side a safe zone if thats what you mean !

Put a FCU on the inside and then you have your safe zone plus you can switch off the outside socket !

Reply to safe zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net