Discuss Scary NON fused UK plug for sale on fleabay... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Got to be honest i've seen this twice now on some kit i have bought on ebay, luckily it was only playstaion stuff for the kids so was able to use the correct ones but then i know what i'm looking at. Bit scary knowing there must be loads out there and one or two will go wrong one day.

Have seen this twice on laptop power units in use when pat testing when i cut plug off cable not even the right colour they were purchased from a well used laptop psu company no QC there then.

Looks like it conforms to everyone else's standards so the Chinese design guy probably thought it would be fine here too. Not sure what ebay will do about having these kind of things sold through them

I thought there would of been some kind of push towards a universal standard 230v 50Hz standard plug by now....although introducing the world to a fused plug and shutters may be a step too far. I can also think of one particular tabloid that would be sickened by the proposition of a universal standard

I think the problem is that ebay is an international site and in many countries the unfused plug wouldn't be non compliant. The only time it's a problem is when someone plugs it into a UK installation....but that's not really ebay's problem, it's the problem of the person who bought the wrong lead for the wrong country.

I don't know for sure but I'm even guessing they might be compliant in certain circumstances in the UK.

I don't think you can expect them to stop selling them but maybe they shouldn't call them a 'UK' power cord and a warning for UK customers would be nice.

I don't know for sure but I'm even guessing they might be compliant in certain circumstances in the UK.

Probably only on a socket fed from a FCU!! lol!! Couldn't use them on a FRC socket outlet backed up by a 30/32A protective device...

Regardless of the fact it has no fuse the earth pin is partly sleeved. This makes it non-compliant in ALL circumstances and in ALL countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a foreigner I've seen some that are fused and some that aren't. The one I take to the UK when I go there isn't fused because the fused ones are larger and take more luggage space.

Maybe they should set up another branch of Customs and start full-body searching everyone for non compliant electrical devices. The last time I went through UK customs they tried to confiscate half a kilo of finest Kudu biltong and a bag of roasted macadamia nuts that were destined for my father. It ended up as a bit of a ruck and out of principal I ate most of it right there rather than hand it over to the airport fascists and felt ill for a full day afterward. :)

Regardless of the fact it has no fuse the earth pin is partly sleeved. This makes it non-compliant in ALL circumstances and in ALL countries.

Not true I'm afraid. There's many countries that don't insist on partly sleeved l+n pins, unsleeved earth pins or fused plugs.

If you have traveled abroad ,have you seen or used any fused plug?What about the tourists coming to UK are the using fused plugs? I think the only country using fused plugs is UK.Please ignore my ignorance.

Not quite true, but generally it will be countries that have adopted the British Standards. Countries that were say once part of the Commonwealth of which, you will maybe be surprised quite a few use our fused plug systems. Quite a few Middle East countries use it, even if not as a country standard. Cyprus, Gib, Honk Kong, Malta, to mention but a few, all use the Brit 13A fused plug as there standard ...lol!!

Got to be honest i've seen this twice now on some kit i have bought on ebay, luckily it was only playstaion stuff for the kids so was able to use the correct ones but then i know what i'm looking at. Bit scary knowing there must be loads out there and one or two will go wrong one day.
Well i don't think that PlayStation would overload over 13A ! Isn't the fuse to protect the cable?

Not true I'm afraid. There's many countries that don't insist on partly sleeved l+n pins, unsleeved earth pins or fused plugs.

I challenge you to name me a single country and the relevant regulation where a partly sleeved earth pin (as stated in my post) is legal?

If you can then I'll stand corrected.

The main problem as far as I can see, is that it is CE marked.
But is that the European mark of the Chinese Export mark? They both look very similar.

Sellers based in China so they can sell what they want out there, shame most people don't realise how much crap is produced in that country.

Reply to Scary NON fused UK plug for sale on fleabay... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net