Discuss Schuko plug to UK plug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jesta

-
Reaction score
Hi.

Looking for some advice.

I have 2 lights, both with a Schuko plug (16a 250v) which I need to rewire and use on a UK plug.

The wires are non polarised so only 2 black cables. I have been advised that these don't need to be earthed and doesnt matter which connect to live/neutral although I will be fitting the appropriate fuse for each.

The thing I wanted to know is if this is correct and can I then plug this to a dimmer switch and then to an extension plug?

Light 1 15w, so will use a 5a fuse.
Light 2 30w so will use a 10a fuse

Dimmer switch is 230v rated at 300w.

If not how best can I use this set up. Unfortunately using another cable is not an option given it has a unique connection to the light.

Thanks

Hi.

Looking for some advice.

I have 2 lights, both with a Schuko plug (16a 250v) which I need to rewire and use on a UK plug.

The wires are non polarised so only 2 black cables. I have been advised that these don't need to be earthed and doesnt matter which connect to live/neutral although I will be fitting the appropriate fuse for each.

The thing I wanted to know is if this is correct and can I then plug this to a dimmer switch and then to an extension plug?

Dimmer switch is 230v rated at 300w.

If not how best can I use this set up. Unfortunately using another cable is not an option given it has a unique connection to the light.

Thanks
Dis the 10Amp fuse 2x30= 60 Watts.
I (Amps) = P(power in Watts) divided by 230V (Volt) = circa 0.2 Amps 0.2608 t0 be precise.

Dis the 10Amp fuse 2x30= 60 Watts.
I (Amps) = P(power in Watts) divided by 230V (Volt) = circa 0.2 Amps 0.2608 t0 be precise.

I read this as, he has two lights.
First one is 15W
Second one is 30W.
So 45W total. Yes this won't make much difference to the total Amps.

The presence of two black conductors suggests that the appliance may not have been made to meet EU standards, which AFAIK require them to be brown and blue even if the appliance is not critical of polarity.

If correctly constructed, anything with a Schuko plug is compatible with any rating of UK plug fuse as it is acceptable for the protection to be as high as 16A. However, 3A fuse is best in this case, adequate for up to 3x230 = 690W (not sure how you arrived at 5A and 10A!). The smaller the fuse, the less likelihood of the dimmer getting damaged if the lamp filament shorts out if knocked while alight.

Thanks for your replies.

So to confirm they are 2 separate lights (led) one at 15w and other at 30w

My concern was with the lights not being grounded is it still safe to plug into a dimmer switch and then into the mains using an extension lead? Do I even need to take into account the dimmer switch or is it safe considering the plug and dimmer switch are correctly wired?

Are they dimmable LEDs?
Is the dimmer switch designed for LEDs?

If the answer is "no" or "don't know" to either question they probably won't dim properly or at all.

Another question, "What is the minimum load of the dimmer?" We know the max is 300 watts.

The LEDS are dimmable as that was the initial reason behind buying these specifically.

That is a good question, the Dimmer switch states it works with LED's, however there is no minimum load indicated anywhere. Could there be any damage to the light if the minimum load isn't enough for the LED or would it just be a case that it wouldn't dimmer, just turn on/off/flicker

Quote - [ My concern was with the lights not being grounded is it still safe ].
Depending on the design of the lights involved,
can we see a picture ?
Many lights now days are made with plastics,
so if they class as double insulated ?
then no earth is required.

I'm assuming there is no class II mark on the fittings? (look for a double square symbol).

Reply to Schuko plug to UK plug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net