Discuss Scrap the Ring final circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Most common thing a DIYer will do is spur off of something, less of a risk on a radial in my opinion. True, we are not required by BS7671 to cater for future incompetence and cowboy interference, but it's another (albeit) small victory for radials

My experience when I was doing domestic work is that the biggest issue with diyers is that they use the incorrect size cable and don't make terminations securely.
This affects any type if circuit

Found this on Friday:

Ring.jpg

This was revealed when a fireplace surround was removed ... all cables terminated nicely into separate terminals - and on a 32A MCB

Ignorance by the DIYer or builder that did this.

It's quite simple really. If you feel that a RFC is not appropriate to your install for whatever reason, then don't use one. If you find them awkward or confusing to install and test, don't use them.
But to call for the banning of them because they are dangerous when altered or misused by incompetent people is sheer nonsense. Should we ban cars ? They probably kill a lot more people than RFCs when altered and misused by incompetent people.

Surely the ring final circuit is just a tool in the box of the circuit designer? Use it where it's advantageous, don't use it, it's just an option. If we stop using circuit layouts just because cowboys screw them up then there's going to be no electrical installation whatsoever.

View attachment 36907

This was my little discovery, installed circa 1960's, revealed 2015.

This socket had been plastered over, presumably when the hose was built, behind a kitchen floor unit. The property had a CU replacement a couple years prior to my work. The 'RFC' had been converted into 2 x radials, as (I expect) the electrician (CU one or original) couldn't obtain continuity, but did not disconnect these legs. I only discovered it, when re-locating the kitchen sockets, and noticed the cable drop in the ceiling void.

Radials 1 RFC 0 :)
You realise if RFCs are done away with that means a new set of Regs, new qualifications to pay for, because believe me if it happens, the IET will br rubbing their hand together thinking of the influx of cash, as will the training companies, you can just imagine it.

Can't see why. Remember watching some training video - was a couple of years ago now - Dave Austin demonstrating RFC testing. In his preamble, he said that the EU were going to ban RFC's, not that's going to happen now :)

Can't see why. Remember watching some training video - was a couple of years ago now - Dave Austin demonstrating RFC testing. In his preamble, he said that the EU were going to ban RFC's, not that's going to happen now :)
If the IET can make money out of any changes, believe me they will, the NICEIC and all the others will go into overdrive with courses, exams ror new qualifications eg I'm Radial trained now.

could then incorporate it into the building regs....... part R.

Reply to Scrap the Ring final circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net