• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Scrap the Ring final circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cadgey123

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
After coming across countless faults in domestic premises regarding ring final circuits, I reckon they should scrap em...

Gets frustrating when you go to check
continuity and there is nothing between each leg. Or you get a call to check a burning smell from the C.U and once again a broken ring feeding kitchen appliances.
Obviously over the years it's just been cowboys let loose.
Even a few agency guys I had working with me never knew what a ring was ???

I read this article and it talks about the advantages but they sound very outdated.

If we started buying 4.0mm2 t & e and throwing that in everywhere jobs a good un.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

After coming across countless faults in domestic premises regarding ring final circuits, I reckon they should scrap em...

continuity and there is nothing between each leg. Or you get a call to check a burning smell from the C.U and once again a broken ring feeding kitchen appliances.

I read this article and it talks about the advantages but they sound very outdated.

If we started buying 4.0mm2 t & e and throwing that in everywhere jobs a good un.

I wouldn't say all the RFCs over the years have been installed by Cowboys Mate you might upset a few of us "cowboys":mad::p:eek:

I wouldn't say all the RFCs over the years have been installed by Cowboys Mate you might upset a few of us "cowboys":mad::p:eek:

What I meant to say was:

They were initially installed correctly.

But over the years the level of care and compotence has been reduced. Therefor making unnecessary faults

I'm concerned by the line that you had agency electricians that did not know what a RFC was
I agree Ant but you must admit some of the work you and I have seen, it makes you wonder, but then again I'm an old cowboy according to some. Need to hang up my spurs and Ring Finals.

There is nothing wrong with a ring final circuit and its use in modern installations. Just because they get abused by diyers and the like does not mean they are unsafe. Should we install everything to cater for the incompetent ?
We have already started down that dark route with metal CUs. It's not hard to install and test a RFC, but many seem to struggle. I'm not of the opinion that regs should be dumbed down to cater for lack of training.

4mm radials are more limited in their capacity. To be used in as many different reference methods as 2.5mm can in a 32A RFC, they must be limited to a 25A OCPD. I think I'd rather install a 20A 2.5mm radial myself.

WHY?

I have noticed on the job spec sheets of late that 4mm t&e is becoming much more common and standard on a RFC and radials. its almost become the default choice in case of future needs on some new builds. I have seen it quite a bit on prefab modular stuff they use to put together budget hotels and chain restuarants. each room comes ready wired ready to connect.

On the one hand modern devices use and draw much less power so in theory 2.5mm is if anything becoming more suitable. When i asked the designer once he said its a mixture of all the insulation they are packing into the new buildings and also to future proof against future changes in use and demand.

RFC's have lasted this long and i doubt this little british quirk will go away anytime soon

Not a fan of RFC's, the only advantage I see is saving space in the CU; disadvantages include the obvious dangerous one where a broken leg creates two 2.5mm2 radials on a 32a MCB that is undetectable until something serious happens , more awkward to test, more awkward to create alterations, more awkward to fault find. Two 20a 2.5mm radials use less cable than a RFC and are much more versatile IMO

Most common thing a DIYer will do is spur off of something, less of a risk on a radial in my opinion. True, we are not required by BS7671 to cater for future incompetence and cowboy interference, but it's another (albeit) small victory for radials

Reply to Scrap the Ring final circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back