Discuss Screwed over by builder - elecsa assessment - what do you reckon? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rocker

So I've been left right in the bloody mire by a thick bloody builder...... what a suprise!

Rewired a place a while ago.... was meant to be in before builder to 1st fix, builder comes in, then I come back and finish off. Builder messed about so it turned out i had to get my plasterer to low-fill the chases, and put in the second fix before the builder even turned up.

I've had one or two problems with the guy but just figured I'll go back in and do a bit of tidying up after he's finished (not too bothered as the house is my neighbours and a mate of mine)

Now, it's my annual re-assessment on Monday (or tomorrow, if you prefer). I didn't even want to use this house as I thought there'd be one or two issues from the builder, but unfortunately the job I was going to show has let me down, so I don't have much of an option.

Now this idiot has moved sockets etc which I knew about (posted on here a while ago), I went in and tested them, and told him not to touch any more electrical - if there was a problem, give me a ring. I go in and have a look now that he's finally finished..... the first thing I notice are downlights are the wrong colour. 'What's happened to them?' I ask the customer. 'Oh well the builder got me some LED bulbs but he said they wouldn't fit in your downlights (absolute rubbish) so he would better ones that would fit for free.' And what happened to the old ones? 'Oh, he took them'

So I have a shufty and lo-and-behold, he's nicked my fire rated chrome ones and put in standard white ones, not terminated particularly well either.

On to the kitchen, and again so that the guy can have LED GU10s, the builder's removed my enclosed ip rated dome and put in a rail with spots on it - no rating and in zones.

Also, he's put the sink in a different location than on the plans, and of course that puts my switches too close to it.

He also re-fixed all accessories at wonky angles after skimming, got them covered in PVA, then painted with them in situ, getting paint all over them (brushed steel and that, runied now).

So obviously I'm going to need to find this guy and have a quiet word.

HOWEVER my assessment is TOMORROW. I've tested as I would do on a board change, and everything is (suprisingly) OK, but I don't havwe the time to do anything else. I'm hoping I'll be able to explain to the guy, and ask him to just mark me as a 'board change', even though the job itself was a rewire, obviously it's no longer 'my' rewire. What do you lot think? Do you reckon he'll be OK with that, or do you think they are going to want a re visit. (to be honest, if they do I tink I may go Napit anyway)

I wouldn't have time anyway, but I don't want to rectify anything that's not 'dangerous' as I would like to have a bit of evidence as I may go down the court route (this guy has taken a massive amount of money off my neighbour for a pretty shoddy job)

I don't think this is unreasonable, but how do you lot see my chances? :mad:

Bad one rocker.
However you say zones for kitchen? Do you mean bathroom? If the spot rail is in the kitchen no problem.
IMO switches and sockets close to sink isn't covered by BS7671 and 300mm min distance is only a reccommendation, so shouldn't be too much of an issue, especially when you explain the builder changed from original plan.
Where are the downlights fitted and do they have to be fire rated? I don't think that the inspector will ask you to remove the fittings from ceiling anyway because it could damage the paint/ceiling, therefore how will he know if you've fitted fire hoods or not?

Anyway good luck with it.

bit of a nighmare there rocker. i would tell the builder if he touches anything on your jobs, you're going to report him to LABC and Trading Standards for interfering with electrical works for whivh he is not qualified to do.

Yea to be honest I wouldn't be quite so worried if it wasn't my assessment job on things like the switches, but I would like it to be top notch.

The downlights don't need to be fire rated, you're correct, but i usually use them, I used them on this job and even if it's not technically illegal, it still looks like bad form. Also, as the place is furnished I couldn't get to all of them to drop, and the customer understandably doesn't want the disruption - the one I managed to drop was not terminated that well.... sheath split and out of enclosure - I would mark it down on an inspaction, lets put it that way.

I know IEE isn't classing a kitchen as a special location any more, but ELECSA, as far as I'm aware, are, and so are my building control.

Anyway, regardless of this, I'm just looking for other peoples opinions on whether the guy is likely to be understanding and just look at what hasn't been messed with, i.e. the board. It's the same guy I had last year, and he's a nice chap actually, but I don't know if these guys are sort of forced to get a revisit whenever they can, if you know what I mean. I reckon NIC definitely would, but I'm hoping as elecsa tend to be a bit more understanding with the contractors that he will be OK with it.

To be honest, a board change is way above the threshold of what they will accept anyway....

do as you say and write eic for board earthing and bonding only, the inspector is not to know then sort out any complications later. chances are the inspector wouldnt be too concerned even if you told him

Got my assessment coming up so I know what it's like. You won't sleep tonight will you lol.
Anyway IMHO I don't think you've got too much to worry about.
Don't mention the poor terminations at downlights, I don't think he'll ask you to drop them.
If he says anything about the switches in kitchen blame builder, we can't be responsible for numptys coming in after us.
BS7671 makes no mention of zones in a kitchen even if it is a special location. Zones are measured from a shower basin (ie tray) or bath. You'd have to be rather small to be using a kitchen sink as a bath.
As for wonky accessories with muck all over them again just blame builder.

Don't get too stressed, have a glass of vino tonight and I'll be surprised if all isn't well tomorrow.
Especially if, as you say, he's a nice chap. Mostly I believe that they want to help us and not penalize us.

Good luck Rocker, let us know how it goes.

yeah all completely not your fault and the assessor will see that. as the others have said you should be fine, one thing though, don't fall out with the builder and if you do don't do work for him again, they can be a right nightmare at the best of times and will be worse if you fall out!! good luck for tomorrow hope all goes well

I would fully explain to the assessor what you have told us and the fact that you are now forced to make good all of the issues that the builder has bodged.

This could happen to any of us when we go back to job and someone has messed about moved tampered with electrical fittings. The house holder knows how you left it and has quite rightly told you that the builder has replaced your fittings. He can also look at the rest of the rewire which will show him the standard of your install.

In veiw of this I am sure the assesor will be easy on you and not subject you to a re visit costing £300 plus when it is not your fault at all.

Best of luck and hope all goes well.

Couldn't give a ---- about the builder to be honest - I wasn't subbing to him or anything, he was hired seperately and he was meant to be a mate of my mate's (the guy whose house it is) but has totally ripped him off for the quality of work that's been done. To be honest even if I could have gotten work out of him in the future (we never saw eye to eye from day one) then I certainly wouldn't want to work for him after he nicked my gear (presumably to use on another job and charge full whack, not that he's qualified or registered to be doing electrical work, of course)

yeah fair play, iv had it where builders do everything to make it hard for you, like tack both sides of a wall or tack the ceilings before you get your cables in, that sort of thing nothing a claw hammer doesnt fix though lol.

Hi Rocker i had my NICEIC inspection last week (23rd) and i always go back to the jobs that i plan to take him to, just to make sure everything is 100% but i asked him about this and i said would it be better if didnt and we could see what happens in the real world lol. so next year i am just going to take him back to jobs to see what we find as the NIC guy said to me the certificate is just a snapshot of how it was when you left it, what happen after that is nothing to do with you. i realy wouldnt worry and just explain you called in and the customer has told you what the builder has done. hope this helps

To support your "position" do you have any photo's taken before and after the changes?

Sounds like you're in a difficult position, good luck tomorrow.

Any jobs i ever do at the end of the day i go round and take pictures of everything, so i know its my work. If someone comes in after me i have proof that i didnt do the work or changes. and its back up incase i ever land up in court for somones elses shoddy work. I think if you had done that on this job then you would beable to argue your case better to the inspector. But i hope things turn out right for you. It ----es me off that other tradesmen dont care about any one else.

It is Alan yes - I've had him before and he is a cool guy, just hope he's cool enough lol. I'm always a gibbering wreck for a few days before my assessment though!

take it the builder's off your xmas list then

same here, make him plenty of tea and he'll be fine, i live on a farm and last time he came all he wanted to talk about is the chickens and veiws from my window.

Reply to Screwed over by builder - elecsa assessment - what do you reckon? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net