Discuss server connections in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

123cool

when we provide electrical connections to the server rack by industrial socket we need to remove the ELCB to avoid the trip , So
eek.gif
eek.gif
, any body know why???

when we provide electrical connections to the server rack by industrial socket we need to remove the ELCB to avoid the trip , So
eek.gif
eek.gif
, any body know why???

I hope that you mean RCD/RCBO/RCCB

If it is an ELCB you have then 1 you should think of changing it as it is no longer recognised in the current regs. 2 You may find that the tripping capacity on it will be very low due to age.

Have you ramp tested the Protective device to see at what mA it trips at?

If you have an industrial socket you may find also there is no need for any RCD protection on the servers and can utilise an MCB/Fuse for protection.

Last edited:
eek.gif
eek.gif
, any body know why???

As the boys have said, it's excess leakage current, it shouldn't be a ELCB as has already been said, these are obsolete.

I'm not sure of your ability or the equipment you have to hand, but I think there is a amount of testing that needs to take place.

eek.gif
eek.gif
, any body know why???
"we need to remove the ELCB to avoid the trip ." I then posted my references as a guide , and intrinsically earthing ,so at least the industrial plug would be fitted, & tested correctly.This should be a clean Earth Aswell.

I'm not sure how we have moved from a protection device tripping to high integrity earthing and clean supplies for a system to avoid noise.

But your correct in the fact that those regs you posted do deal with equipment that produce high protective currents.

I'm not sure that OP the ELCB had tripped. Anyway,hey ho, Thanks for agreeing on the regs.Just thought that it may help someone installing a Industrial socket or even a reminder of awareness of IT SMPS earth leakage etc; Cheers Malcolm !

Murdoch , I don’t think that number of the users could affect.
Timbo_1975 , I agree with you , but how we can protect people when they use this very sensitive equipments?????

Malcolmsanford , yes, I mean residual current circuit breaker device but our contractors always keep name it ELCB and for A/C , they name it ELR and really I don’t know why but I asked them and they told me that ELR used when the A/C current exceed 100A, what do you think is it true??? Plz could you tell me what is the difference between all those terms , maybe the enclosure only different ???? Also, we didn’t measure the leakage current but the power supply tripped at 30mA and we installed only earth wire but I don’t think it is enough without any protective device , what do you think??????

High Tower , IT department are not flexible with our electrical department and not allowed us to test anything only what they want is removing of the protective device which is installed for their safety so I try a lot of solutions , one time I installed only the earth wire , and last time I installed isolator with the industrial outlet and connected to RCD = 300mA but still not sure that it is enough for their safety or not , however no tripping happened and IT people very happy!!!!!
Electro-tech , thanks a lot for the guides but our equipments exceed 30mA and tripped at 30mA so I replaced our RCD by 300mA , but is it safety to have 300mA???

Murdoch , I don’t think that number of the users could affect.
Timbo_1975 , I agree with you , but how we can protect people when they use this very sensitive equipments?????

Malcolmsanford , yes, I mean residual current circuit breaker device but our contractors always keep name it ELCB and for A/C , they name it ELR and really I don’t know why but I asked them and they told me that ELR used when the A/C current exceed 100A, what do you think is it true??? Plz could you tell me what is the difference between all those terms , maybe the enclosure only different ???? Also, we didn’t measure the leakage current but the power supply tripped at 30mA and we installed only earth wire but I don’t think it is enough without any protective device , what do you think??????

High Tower , IT department are not flexible with our electrical department and not allowed us to test anything only what they want is removing of the protective device which is installed for their safety so I try a lot of solutions , one time I installed only the earth wire , and last time I installed isolator with the industrial outlet and connected to RCD = 300mA but still not sure that it is enough for their safety or not , however no tripping happened and IT people very happy!!!!!
Electro-tech , thanks a lot for the guides but our equipments exceed 30mA and tripped at 30mA so I replaced our RCD by 300mA , but is it safety to have 300mA???

I can't answer really why your Contractors call an RCCB an ELCB perhaps he is as old as me and old habits die hard.

As I said to you in my post #4 as this sounds like a commercial/industrial enviroment and your using an industrial socket there may not be any need to have RCD protection at all. Only a design engineer or your contractor can tell you this.

By removing that 30mA RCD and replacing it with a 300mA RCD without the knowledge of what each RCD does is IMO bordering on criminal negligence, Yes there is a good chance you can fit a MCB/Fuse rather than a RCD, but do you know why that 30mA was fitted ? becasue if it was fitted as additional protection and an incident occurs where there is an injury, accident or god forbid a death, then you by removing it will be in serious trouble.

If there are high earth currents , you should clamp to know exactly what you are dealing with, as a server cabinet in arms reach of a service pipe etc; could provide a path to earth via that person.I would say that the 300mA RCD would be good to keep there in case of fire and as to risk to persons the 30mA rule would apply if persons could come in contact with the equipment.Also the method of installation of the circuit of the industrial socket dictates whether need for RCD or specifically labelled/ under supervision etc. I would be also be concerned as to the earthing integrity of each workstation back to the server room.If all earthing is common, then you may need to segregate the circuits involved and this way you may find parallel paths contributing to your earth leakage at the server.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Telectrix [/FONT][FONT=&quot]& [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Malcolmsanford [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] know that safety device designed to protect against personal electric shock and Fuses / MCB’s protect only the installation and final appliances; they are not suitable for personal protection from electric shock. Many believe that it is voltage that can kill whereas in actual fact it is the current that causes a shock and can prove fatal. The actual amount of current that can cause death is very small. In fact its just 50mA (milliamps), much less than the 3A fuse you may have fitted in your plug.To simplify, just 1/20th of an amp can kill an average person. All above mentioned I believe and agree but what can I do if the power supply tripped at 30mA and IT people not understand the risks, what you will do if you are in my position??? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Electro-tech unfortunately the server rack not earthed [/FONT]:pirate: and what do mean by parallel paths contributing to your earth leakage at the server??? [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Seeing as you are lecturing to me perhaps you should read regulation 531.2.4 concering RCDs and their use in conjuncture with circuits that produce Protective conductor currents.

Also if you deem yourself sufficently knowledgeable to lecture at least research your subject matter. The actual amout of current that can kill is less than 50mA, which is why for additional protection against shock, a 30ma RCD is used. In fact a defibulation of the heart can take place at 10mA, which is why in the industry and mostly in schools and research facilities we use a 10mA RCD.

You clearly are the adage a little knowledge is dangerous, and by removing a device design to protect against shock, and replace it with a device designed to protect equipment shows this. Please though carry on with this situation if you feel this is the correct path.

Becasue the installation is badly designed, you decide that the way to go is not to correct the design but to change it's parameters to make the installation dangerous. Same as I assume if you could not fit a piece of work into a circular saw the answer would be to remove the safety guard.

If an industrial socket is installed specifically for a server normally in a locked or restricted access room ,the circuit is designed correctly access restricted to skilled and compitant persons ,risk assesed then there is no need for RCD protection ,it when there is a possabilty that some one using equipmet thats of a higher risk ie outside , cleaners with vac etc , agree with malcome on this one , its all about risk ,

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to server connections in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net