Discuss shock from metal lightswitch in kitchen in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

nick9one1

DIY
Reaction score
UK here.

I've noticed the light switch in out kitchen gives a small tingle when you use it with bare feet.
I ran an extension from another socket in the house and found that that there is 240V between the switch and earth from the socket.
I tested resistance between the known good earth and the switch and found no continuity.
I also tested other switches and sockets in the kitchen, there is no continuity between them and the good earth. They also hovered around 100V - 240V AC.

Sockets go through an RCD/GFCI on the consumer unit, and the lights do not.

Im not sure how to isolate the problem, what should I start testing next?

I suggest you get an electrician ASAP. If you are measuring mains voltage between two points which should be effectively earthed you have a very dangerous situation.

Reply to shock from metal lightswitch in kitchen in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, in my bedroom i had a 2 gang dimmer that powered 2 set of 3 spot lights and also had passthrough wires to other sockets. Im changing to just...
Replies
Views
Hi there - good site. Mrs wants a new socket directly below a light switch on the ground floor (says it will look neater vertically inline)...
Replies
Views
I'll start by saying - I have absolutely no intention of doing any wiring or anything electrical myself. You get someone professional to do a...
Replies
Views
I am wiring up a new kitchen and conservatory. I'm not sure why I checked continuity between line and the metal back box of the light switch, but...
Replies
Views
Hello all- I hope this is the right place to ask this question. A few weeks ago the LED lights in the kitchen started flickering intermittently...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock