Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Shoddy work in carpark!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Just been in Homebase to choose a light fitting with a customer and i see this shining example of electrical work.
    Looking at the cable run they have tapped into a swa from the old car park lights and then run it up a pole to service the car park enforcement cameras to clock entry and exit times.
    The cowboys didnt even make an attempt to use some magical insulation tape to cover it.
    In event the little hole fills with rain and some kid comes along then could be dangerous.
    I put my tester on it to see if live and 240v going down it.
    Told the manager in the store and his response is classic... "Its okay as the electrician is registered with niceic and hes tested it and everything. We are only allowed to use approved electricians due to health and safety!!"
    I bit my lip and held back on this one but im going to email their head office as this is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Here is the efforts by the cowboy

20170922_085713.jpg

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. snowhead

snowhead Trusted Advisor

Don't suppose there was anywhere nearby they could have bought a Weatherproof box :rolleyes::D

Email to Homebase Head office and see if the Aussies that now own it are bothered.?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Hopefully it’s down to the S***b*g private CCTV parking contractors who can be taken for a few million when someone is hurt. Also makes a mockery of the scam system.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. FatAlan

I think I might have lead the manager by the hand, showed them the exposed wires, taken his name and said something like, ‘ so you are quite happy to leave live exposed electrical parts to the danger of customers and staff?’

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

It'll be well protected in the winter when the hole fills with water and ices over.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. FatAlan

Is that CPC going direct to earth? :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    slapa shovel full of tarmac over it, be arrite.

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. Startinez

Startinez Trainee Trainee Access

TT system. Without the second T. Or the first! o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. David M

David M I'm often blinded by simplicity Electrician's Arms

Surely someone at the store would be responsible for signing off any work completed by a contractor? Though I guess it will be a case of "I'm sure its fine they are registered electricians" Store manager who can't be bothered to come out of his/her cosy office to have a quick look over work completed.
    Anybody with half a brain, whether they have any knowledge or not of electrics, would surely question such a sh** job done!
    "tradesmen" who produce workmanship like this should be prosecuted!!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Lead him by the scruff of his coat sounds more reasonable

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. littlespark

The same Homebase that sell cable and accessories to the general public, encouraging the bodged DIY examples seen elsewhere on the forum. Hardware store light fittings are the worst in design.... IKEA, take note. Awful, awful products. Normally 2 screws that are too short to reach any wooden joist above the ceiling, and 2 rawlplugs that don't quite fit the screws. No provision in their connections for a looped live, or an earth wire for that matter.
    I'm not surprised seeing that photo. The materials used look like they were taken from the shop floor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I would send your picture and the response received to your local news paper or online service. Or they might end up reporting on something like this;

Large group of people hit with electric shocks while trying to fix fallen pole - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/horrifying-moment-men-hit-electric-8661080

Warning contains disturbing images :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  14. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

It definitely needs taking further - you're going to feel pretty bad if something happens in the future.

Send an email with the photo attached to the store manager and to their head office expressing your concerns. Tell them you want a reply to the email or you will be reporting it to the relevant authorities.

To be honest, the head office should thank you for this - their health and safety dept would be very interested.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. littlespark

Add to the email you got a mild shock from it when you bent down to tie your shoelace.... Compensation claim ahoy.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1