Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shower install

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by aes2011, Feb 23, 2012.

Discuss Shower install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. aes2011

aes2011 Guest

Looking for the best solution on a damage limitation rewire...

Two bedroom semi with a 10.5kw shower in bathroom upstairs wired to a 45a p.c in 10.0mm t&e. There is no way of getting to shower unless the wall is chased out in bathroom or hallway. Problem is client does not want her bathroom damaged or hallway damaged and insists on no trunking. The existing switch wire is run in 6.0mm t&e.

Any ideas?

2. aes2011

aes2011 Guest

Wording Is pretty crap, on my mobile.

There is a 10.0mm coming from DB to pull cord and an existing 6.0 switch wire going to shower. Trying to find a solution to re wire the switch wire without any damage.

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    can you run outside in pvc conduit?

4. aes2011

aes2011 Guest

Bathroom tiled and hallway nice decor!

5. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    tell the silly moo to buy a wireless shower if she won't have a cable run to it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. mickys86

mickys86 Electrician's Arms

I'd like one of them..... Where can I get one?

7. Murdoch

Murdoch Regular EF Member

How about a nice 9KW shower??????????

• Like Like x 1
  8. timo1

timo1 Electrician's Arms

How about a nice 9KW shower??????????

Totally agree, only option given the circs and wil cost a lot less then redecorating, and besides how hot do you want your shower? lol​

9. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    beats me how these customers buy these ridiculous high power showers, then think we can magic them to work without installing cable. iv'e just installed a 8.5kW mira , partly because i refuse to attempt to force 2 10mm cables into a pull switch designed for max. 6mm. on full heat it's scalding. why on earth go for 10.5kW?????

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  10. drew35

drew35 Guest

I have a 10.5kw to fit, and upgrade of cable to 10mm. I think the reason is not for total heat output, but the heat to pressure ratio. The 10.5kw shower can heat the water up to a good temperature without having to reduce the flow to a prostate cancer restricted urine flow amount.

11. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    DOH... always thought the purpose of a shower was to get clean, not to drown under a torrent of scalding water.

12. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

If you lived in sunny East Anglia you would understand the need with the farty water pressure we get round here!

13. fredie

fredie Guest

If you know how the shower is wired from the switch in 6mm cable then it could be possible. If the cable is clipped direct then as Table 4D1A states the cable is rated at 47 amps. It should be realised that the shower does not run flat out all the time only when it is heating at max.

14. mikeh58

mikeh58 Guest

All ways do the job correctly,you will have to run new 10mm from switch then down to shower in trunking or by removing a few tiles,or she gets a lower rated shower,if not you will have to walk away

15. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

a 2 bedroom semi with a 10.8KW SHOWER??!!....what the hells it all coming to...lol....