Discuss Shower Swap require RCD install? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Hoping to clear something up.
A maintenance person has asked me this question and I've heard a different views on the matter.

A block of flats have Electrical Showers in them, if he was to change one (like for like) is he by rights supposed to upgrade that circuit he has just worked on to have an RCD?

Thanks in Advance.
AP.

Welcome to the Forum :)

Last time I checked any showers 'installation intructions' I noted they all specify RCD protection or specify they must meet current regulations, as it is in regulations that manufacturers instructions are taken into account then IMHO if you want to cover your --- then I would say yes.

Last edited:
agreed. always cover your arse. better overkill than customer kill.

you shouldnot be entertaining. I'm the entertainment round here ( alongwith geordie). :hammer:

Why would you ever fit an electric shower without an rcd? who would benefit?

The lazy installer who can gallop off to another job with the time saved not fitting the RCD if it's not already present. Or the maintenance man or plumber who doesn't know or have the competence for the electrical side but can screw three wires in to make it work like the last one did.

The lazy installer who can gallop off to another job with the time saved not fitting the RCD if it's not already present. Or the maintenance man or plumber who doesn't know or have the competence for the electrical side but can screw three wires in to make it work like the last one did.

The Landlord's pocket.

Exactly my point, you take the risk they take the profit.

The regs are a minimum standard, even if you don't have to doesn't mean you shouldn't .
Just my opinion of course.

Just saying e.g. scenario, if supply is PME (can't be arsed with modern descriptive) 16mm tails and 6mm bonding, no sign of thermal damage etc, nice shiny RCD in CU, 'customer you need to upgrade your bonding'; 'how much, your having a laugh, I just want my shower replaced, cos the smell's putting the dog off'.

What do you do?

Just saying e.g. scenario, if supply is PME (can't be arsed with modern descriptive) 16mm tails and 6mm bonding, no sign of thermal damage etc, nice shiny RCD in CU, 'customer you need to upgrade your bonding'; 'how much, your having a laugh, I just want my shower replaced, cos the smell's putting the dog off'.

What do you do?

That would only be considered a C3, so would be complient.

That would only be considered a C3, so would be complient.

Apart from the fact that this thread is not discussing EICRs, if an observation warrants a C3 code then it is not compliant.
C3 is the code given when an observation is not immediately nor potentially dangerous, but does not comply with the regulations and if it was changed to meet the regulations it would improve the safety of the installation.

Apart from the fact that this thread is not discussing EICRs, if an observation warrants a C3 code then it is not compliant.
C3 is the code given when an observation is not immediately nor potentially dangerous, but does not comply with the regulations and if it was changed to meet the regulations it would improve the safety of the installation.

Yes thats right, i didnt quite word that right. However work could still proceed.

Reply to Shower Swap require RCD install? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net