Discuss Six point method in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bobeemick

Can any one help me answer a question I've come across in the HNC fault finding module.

what is the six point fault finding technique.

It's a redundant technique which has now been superseded by the 21st Century 'Two Point Technique'...
Got a fault:
1. Ask on an internet forum
2. Implement the solutions posted.

the British Gas 6 point method.

1. stare at CU with a thoughtful expression.
2. remove CU cover
3. shake head whilst tutting quietly
4. try to reset tripped device
5. plug in socket and see tester.
6. quote £800 + VAT for a new CU

Call out British Gas they will sort it for you:hurray::tounge_smile::6:

the British Gas 6 point method.

1. stare at CU with a thoughtful expression.
2. remove CU cover
3. shake head whilst tutting quietly
4. try to reset tripped device
5. plug in socket and see tester.
6. quote £800 + VAT for a new CU

this must be the first ammendment then Tel...

i mean what happened to :

"vaguely wave the volt pen over it whilst trying to look like you know what your doing"?

1. Test the system, ie make measurements or collect other evidence
2. Analyse the readings
3. Locate fault based on analysis (step 2)
4. Determine the original cause of the fault. (ie find a method to prevent recurrence)
5. Repair the fault (bearing in mind step 4)
6. Retest the system

never used the 6 point system in my life..... it's too jewish.

1. Fiddle with various things in case it's just a loose connection.
2. While trying to look methodical with your fiddling, see if you can figure out how it's meant to work and search for scorched bits or booby traps.
3. Take some readings and log some part numbers and write them down carefully in an intricate-looking table.
4. Rattle off some interesting facts you've just discovered, to distract the customer while Googling the part numbers +"common fault" or +"not working" on your phone.
5. If that's no help, locate the grungiest-looking part and try changing it
6. If still dead, tell the customer that the damage is so extensive, the unit is beyond economic repair.

How many of us have done something similar under duress?

If in doubt get as much expensive and technical looking gear out,even if you can't fix it it certainly looks impressive.Many's the hour I've spent walking round work with a drawing in one hand and a meter in the other,swearing under my breath when anyone approaches,one look and they walk away thinking "he's got enough on his plate I'll ask someone else".

Reply to Six point method in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net