Discuss Smart heating thermostat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone just looking for some advice before buying stuff not planning on carrying out this work myself will get someone who knows what their doing.

I wanted to know if this smart thermostat could replace my existing thermostat

Smart thermostat
IMG_3945.jpeg
IMG_3947.jpeg

Existing thermostat

IMG_3948.jpeg
IMG_3949.png

IMG_3950.jpeg
IMG_3951.jpeg

Tried my best to get all the wiring on the photo looks a complete mess in my opinion any advise or knowledge is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_3950.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 1
it looks like a fairly universal thermostat designed to replace a normal wall stat.
as long as you have a permanent supply (looks like it) and you can figure out the correct wiring, you are good to go.

The plate you show seems to show it does domestic hot water (DHW) as well as central heating (CH) in the main when that is the case the thermostat activated a valve and in turn the valve runs the central heating.

By the use of relays nearly any thermostat can work nearly any on/off boiler.

However most gas boilers are not on/off, they can be modulated (turned down) there are two ways to control the modulations either wired into the ebus, or by the temperature of the return water, the latter is the easiest way. This means the TRV (thermostatic radiator valve) is King, and the most important thing is to have a wall thermostat which can link to at least some of the TRV's.

So Evohome, Hive, Wiser, Tado to name a few, all of which also I think connect to internet (not sure on EvoHome) and each seems to have geofencing as well.

There are however some expensive and cheap wifi connected thermostats which will no integrate with TRV heads, I don't think the one you show will work TRV heads, and Nest also will not connect to TRV heads, yours is really designed for UFH although there are three versions and they claim the others are for gas boilers, and Nest is really designed for hot air systems, and although again they say it is for gas boiler and even has OpenTherm built in, the lack of interconnecting with TRV heads means it is very limited on how it can be used.

Reply to Smart heating thermostat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net