Discuss smart meter installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am a builder who is renovating a rural property. A smart meter is due to be installed. It would IMHO be a good idea to get a rec switch installed. What can I expect the meter installers to do ? There is just about enough space for a slimline rec switch / isolator. to the right of the service fuse ?? I am wondering if installing a small board to the left of the current meter and get the new meter fitted there,
Will the installers just connect to the rec switch and leave the supply to the CU to someone else.

I guess the henley block was when the current CU was installedand the meter tails were not long enough ?

BTW are there any folk able to do a bit of work in West Wilts area . I am looking to get the earth system changed. The service cable was changed many years ago and there is an ugly earth cable running down the front wall next to the front door to a pin.

Attachments

• cott photo 1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 50
  • cottage photo 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 51
if those are henley blocks above the ceiling they need coming out of there. they must be accessible. when meter is replaced, might be an idea to fit new tails direct to CU.

BTW are there any folk able to do a bit of work in West Wilts area . I am looking to get the earth system changed. The service cable was changed many years ago and there is an ugly earth cable running down the front wall next to the front door to a pin.
That's my kind of patch, depending on how west is west. I'll drop you a PM.

last meter change I came across was where the meter monkey had sheared off the slot in one of the terminal screws in the new meter. that's the reason they want twin screw teminals. ?.

last meter change I came across was where the meter monkey had sheared off the slot in one of the terminal screws in the new meter. that's the reason they want twin screw teminals. ?.
Similar happened to me a while back - the very tip of my 4mm hex terminal driver decided to shear off and get stuck inside the terminal screw on a recessed mounting of a brand new £700 3ph adjustable ELCB. I may have sworn somewhat. (I did, eventually, get it out after half a day's peeing about).

Reply to smart meter installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net