Discuss Smart technology a go go or a no no in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not much in my own home except just bought a Honeywell Thermostat for remote control of heating for my Cabin in the woods, for the price, if you need to know the temperature from anywhere in the world using internet AND be able to switch something on and off, its really good.

For work, i have just about automated everything you can do in a Smart Home, lol

ive had lightwave rf in my own house for years. Remote control sockets, lights in one room and heating all from one app.

Have fitted umpteen numbers of thermostats, heaters, switches, CCTV, and now EV chargers..... and have umpteen apps on my phone for each.

Quinetic is a cost saver if it means no running cables, redecorating, etc.
I fitted 3 two gangs at my FIL's storage unit. There was only a single switch before, at a door that didnt get used. The Quinetics is at any of the 3 doors that now might get used.

Yes, I'm a fan of Quinetic and have fitted loads of them. As @littlespark says it's a no brainer if it saves running cables, redecorating etc. The ability to add a switch anywhere is a real bonus, and cost-wise I have not had a problem with clients baulking when the alternative is more expensive and very messy, especially in period properties. As for controlling with apps on phone, I'm just not a fan at all. It's fine for some, but not something I would do...I don't even like dimmers, so many failures and hassles over the years. i replaced all mine with the push-on-off modules that just work...all the time. Add LEDs (I love 'em!) into a dimmer mix and as you know there are so many threads on here about dimmers and LEDs not behaving, so why would you? I can still get off my seat and switch the lights on or off!
Quinetic and the dimming receivers are a bit hit and miss too...
However, I have not had a standard Quinetic setup fail in over 10 years. I installed a couple of switches to 1 receiver last week in a building which is part of my local Men's Shed charity, and the ease of installation against running cables made it a joy of a job.
The main building has several Quinetic switched lighting circuits, in use daily now for 4 years or more, and not one failure. The type of building would have required conduit installation onto brick walls for all the switch drops, but we have none so it's clean and simple, if anything broke, well it's all easy to see, easy to gain access, and very simple and quick to fix. We have 3 access doors from the outside, and a main panel which controls all the lights, but adding a switch at each door was a doddle.
Other than that, I'm not bothered about switching my heating on from the other side of the world...why would I? My neighbour pops in to do that if required, which, so far, has been never!

I suppose looking from the Old School of cabling ….if you got to install a cable why not install another ie: Switch position
Also I have quite a few smart controls & there are times it’s easier just to use a switch
Its a slow process in the future to move over to ST

One concession to all this 'smart' stuff is a eWeLink switch connected in parallel to the central heating programmer. Nice to have the heating on half an hour before I get home. (Or when I'm too lazy to get out om my armchair and walk 10 feet to the programmer to override it on.)

Yes another fan of the Quinetic switches here, been using them for years and only had a couple of failures but we're replaced very quickly by TLC. Very versatile and many options available in their range.
I recently did a new kitchen and all the 6 lighting sets were switched through Quinetic Wi-Fi units and wall switches. Excellent product!

As for controlling with apps on phone, I'm just not a fan at all.
It's not something I like either - I get "a tad irritated" at the number of businesses I deal with who all expect me to install their app in order to deal with them. I guess a lot of people just do it, never read the small print (always read the small print !), and never even think about what information the app might be syphoning off their phone - for example, AIUI Whatsapp won't work unless it can read all your stored contact details and syphon them off to Facebook (I don't use any of that stuff).
I don't even like dimmers, so many failures and hassles over the years. i replaced all mine with the push-on-off modules that just work...all the time. Add LEDs (I love 'em!) into a dimmer mix and as you know there are so many threads on here about dimmers and LEDs not behaving, so why would you?
I've been impressed with Varilight dimmers - they've worked very well in our living room with LED lights.
I can still get off my seat and switch the lights on or off!
SWMBO now complains about that. When I "did up" our living room, I fitted a grid switch so everything can be switched from the doorway. Previously, some of the standard/table lamps were using plug-in radio controls as they weren't accessible for to switch on/off, and she's not happy about losing them. Med/long term plan is to combine the grid switches with remote control and some DALI ...

But back to subject in hand, I've been careful to stay away from the IoT trend - having been in IT for decades, the risks are obvious and I really don't want a load of "Internet of Tat"on my network or in the house. I did lose the argument when one of our daughters gave SWMBO an Alexa device one Christmas, and the other daughter produced a Firestick primarily so her kids can watch the same stuff here that they get at home.
I do have plans - but only with open protocols and not reliant on an internet computer and some remote server - ask anyone who bought into the "Revolv" ecosystem what they think of proprietary systems that rely on the cloud (a.k.a. "someone else's computer") to work.

Former house I fitted some Lightwave RF sockets and a dimmer to the lounge - one button 'TV on, lights down' was frankly a bit of a gimmick although the fact you could just press a button as a 'last man out' and actually turn off everything as opposed to standby was good.

Now, I've a Quinetic switch as a manual overide for a flood light over the yard and that's about it. Well..... if you discount a Nest Thermostat, three hubs and about 10 cameras, that is.... The definition of 'smart' isn't what it used to be!!

We have a "smart" TV - I've deliberately not connected it to the network.
There's a long history of security problems with them - e.g. one model was found to scan your local network (I guess all DLNA servers) and send a list of all media files found to "somewhere" ! Generally, you've no idea what it might be doing behind your back.
Also, there's a long history of features that stop working. E.g. BBC updated the iPlayer interface, and quite a few TVs stopped being able to access it. At least with a plug in device like the Firestick (as noted above, it wasn't my choice to admit it to the house), if it gets out of date it's not expensive to bin and replace.
And lastly, it's just so much harder than a "dumb" TV to work the common features - like switching between the HDMI inputs and the tuner.
This TV was given to us, but while looking for a replacement after our previous one packed in, I was finding it frustrating to be paying for stuck I not only didn't want - but actually want to not have. Grrrr.

Long story short, I had trouble printing to an older HP deskjet, so I tried to find a driver...no luck. Only way to get it working apparently is to install the HP app on my phone...did that, printer still didn't work and my guardian angel app on PC and phone blocked over 100 attempts to access my info.
Now, I don't believe that HP are trying to do me any harm, but honestly...it's a printer ffs!
I did find a work-around that worked ok, and also allowed me to use my Epson scanner which hates Windows 10 and has no drivers...but why do we have to suffer these hassles?
I'm a complete amateur with IT, but I didn't want to dump the printer (cheap) or the scanner (expensive) jusr because I had my PC updated to Windows 10.
Now both work fine, and I have found a reason to keep my laptop running 8.1 and my netbook running xp!
Smart?
NOT!
Lights work with a switch, I like that!

Reply to Smart technology a go go or a no no in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net