Discuss Smart wifi switch installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am from UK and having a very basic knowledge in home electrical systems. I would like to replace my traditional 2 gang switch (which controls 1 way outdoor light and 2 ways hallway light) to smart wifi switch. Here is the exact existing wiring diagram.

I am confused with 2 way - 3 core and earth wiring system. Please can anyone guide me how to replace existing 2 gang switch with new smart switch. I would appreciate if the instructions show which cable goes where. I will keep the 1 gang light switch as it is.

LightSwitch_existing2.jpg

New 2 gang wifi smart switch
Wifi switch

actual wiring photo (described above in the diagram)
20210828_183855.jpg

Thanks.

Attachments

• LightSwitch_existing.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 16
  • LightSwitch_existing.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Where does that black cable go? Is it a confirmed neutral? Your new light switch requires a neutral so best to check that first.

Many so-called smart switches do not (on their own) provide two-way switching. Does yours? What do the instructions say?

Your existing switch operates two separate lights. Are these both on the same lighting circuit?

Small (pedant) point. Lighting circuits are usually installed as radials, not ring final circuits!

Many so-called smart switches do not (on their own) provide two-way switching. Does yours? What do the instructions say?

Your existing switch operates two separate lights. Are these both on the same lighting circuit?

Small (pedant) point. Lighting circuits are usually installed as radials, not ring final circuits!
Hi Taylortwocities,
The instructions are not clear at all. Doesn't say anything about 2 way switching.
yes the existing switch operates two separate light (one porch and other one in hallway). They both are on same lighting circuit.

Wifi switch Instructions sheet:

1630321286855.png

attached the full instruction sheet in pdf.

Attachments

• Wifi smart swtich .pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Ok. You need to read the instructions. It’s not the best English. Two way operation is (I think) in
3.3 Multi-control operation.

Your lighting circuit has another switch on it. You’ll need to change that for a single gang smart switch too and follow the instructions.

The best of luck with it.

PS. You might to take some guidance from this handy video.

Ok. You need to read the instructions. It’s not the best English. Two way operation is (I think) in
3.3 Multi-control operation.

Your lighting circuit has another switch on it. You’ll need to change that for a single gang smart switch too and follow the instructions.

The best of luck with it.

PS. You might to take some guidance from this handy video.

Thanks for the video link. The only difference in the video is, that guy has one wifi light switch already setup and he just paired with the other switch as scene. In my case, I dont have the first switch setup :-(

I would change my other regular 1 gang switch to single gang smart switch and give it a go.

I would change my other regular 1 gang switch to single gang smart switch and give it a go.
Agree with Taylortwocities, with another single gang Moesgo switch you should be able to make it work two-way by pairing them.
But you will need to change the wiring to the single gang, as it needs a line and a neutral (and earth), and unlike the present arrangement it will not switch live directly to the light. You don't connect the switched live from the single gang switch at all. Instead, when set up, and you touch the single gang, it will send a wifi message to the three gang, to operate the light.
There are diagrams on the web showing how the Moesgo switches should be connected for 2-way.

Do not connect the present configuration of wiring into the new single gang switch, you will likely destroy one or both switches.
You need to sort out what is permanent live and what is neutral, at your 2 gang switch, and feed those L, N and E through to the new single gang switch, so it means changing where those wires connect at the 2 gang switch.
If you are not clear on the circuit that's required, get assistance from an electrician ?

Last edited:
Agree with Taylortwocities, with another single gang Moesgo switch you should be able to make it work two-way by pairing them.
But you will need to change the wiring to the single gang, as it needs a line and a neutral (and earth), and unlike the present arrangement it will not switch live directly to the light. You don't connect the switched live from the single gang switch at all. Instead, when set up, and you touch the single gang, it will send a wifi message to the three gang, to operate the light.
There are diagrams on the web showing how the Moesgo switches should be connected for 2-way.

Do not connect the present configuration of wiring into the new single gang switch, you will likely destroy one or both switches.
You need to sort out what is permanent live and what is neutral, at your 2 gang switch, and feed those L, N and E through to the new single gang switch, so it means changing where those wires connect at the 2 gang switch.
If you are not clear on the circuit that's required, get assistance from an electrician ?
I

Thanks Avo and Taylortwocities for your support.

This is my existing setup:

currentsetup.png

I replaced both the switches with smart wifi switches.

Here is the new setup I tried yesterday. The outdoor light works fine but the two-way hallway light doesn't work on either side. No response from 2 gang or 1 gang.

I bought neutral required switches and most of the UK house doesn't have a neutral wire. I am planning to change the switches to no-neutral required switches and try again.

Please zoom in on the image to see the cable definations.
1630580745872.png

This is the youtube video I followed - 2 Way Electrical Touch Light Switch Wiring Tutorial

Any suggestion on how can I pull a neutral wire in the switchboard? Thinking to replace it with no-neutral switches.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Yes
I believe the feed to the indoor light is the yellow in the 'Main' cable.
You have put the yellow from the single gang switch, which is not in use.
Change them over at the 2 gang switch ?

Yes
I believe the feed to the indoor light is the yellow in the 'Main' cable.
You have put the yellow from the single gang switch, which is not in use.
Change them over at the 2 gang switch ?

I removed yellow hallway cable and swaped with main yellow cable in 2-gang and boooooooom, It WORKED !!!! ???

You guys rock.
Thank you so much.

The other single gang had power so I paired wirelessly with 2-gang and created a multi-control association link. Now hallway light is working as two way. There is slight latency in the switch response because it doing the job via wifi but I can live with that.

One last question :)
I have done this setup on the "neutral required" smart switches. If I replace it with "no neutral" switches, do you think the two-way is achievable without wifi pairing (just to avoid latency). If yes, I can replace them with "no neutral".

---------------------------------------------New wiring ---------------------------------------------------
New wiring on 2-gang (controls 1 way outdoor and 2 way indoor light - wifi paird with 1-gang).
1630662602896.png

single gang wiring - wifi paired with 2 gang indoor light for 2 way.
1630662732434.png

Cheers.

One last question :)
I have done this setup on the "neutral required" smart switches. If I replace it with "no neutral" switches, do you think the two-way is achievable without wifi pairing (just to avoid latency). If yes, I can replace them with "no neutral".

Cheers.
I find smart switches a minefield.

I don't think you will find "direct wifi" type switches (ie that don't need a hub) that will do the two way switching by wire alone, whether they require a neutral or not. But I don't know for sure.

I find smart switches a minefield.

I don't think you will find "direct wifi" type switches (ie that don't need a hub) that will do the two way switching by wire alone, whether they require a neutral or not. But I don't know for sure.
I agree, these things are still evolving.
I am happy to keep my setup as is for now(as long they are working) ?

Cheers.

Reply to Smart wifi switch installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net