Discuss Smoke alarm periodic certificate in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
Doing an eicr at a HMO property today and was asked to test/certificate for the smoke detectors which are aico mains powered interlinked alarms, i dont know of any certificates for domestic smoke alarms. Its a grade D ld2 system, all test putton worked and all sounders activated when one unit pressed but on what certificate do i put this? Circuit was on own breaker all tests good. Any advice welcomed..

image.pngNot sure what cert you would put this on, but we did some EICR for a housing association, and although it's not part of an EICR, they asked to test the mains smoke alarms using an aerosol activator like above.

The EICR may cover the electrical wiring for the smokes, but not the smokes......

Do those devices actually test heat alarms too, or do you need to set fire to the kitchen?

I don't think they work on heat alarms. (The smoke aerosols, not sure if there's something for heat)
The client just wanted a note making on the EICR stating whether the alarms worked or not, they loaned us those activation poles.
I've installed commercial fire alarms, but they are always commissioned by the company that supplies the alarms, panel etc.

you could surely remove the alarms from the base plates and do a R2 test to check the cpc and could do a IR at 250v?? can do Zs aswell if you really want to. I have never had an issue when sliding the alarms off the base plate so its disconnected and on battery only then doing the above tests. you can always record it as a limitation?
thats the only testing i have done on them in the past. as otherwise all you are saying is they are suitable for their location and are not too close to walls doors etc as per manufacturers instructions.

You can get the same sort of tester for heat alarms. Same design but instead of arosole
It has a battery and a little fan heater that blows heat at the detector

Thanks for the replies.
The question was refering to sign a cert saying the smoke alarms had been tested. The local councill had sent the landlord a tick sheet presumably before a visit by them. The property had no Emergency lighting atall so im guessing this will be picked up too, on the tick sheet it stated fire alarm periodic test and the guy had ticked it im guessing thinking he had adequate smoke alarms but im guessing they will expect a part 1 system. I advised him to get in touch with local council and ask if part 1 fire system is required or smoke detectors adequate, query if emergency lighting is required & also no mention of a PAT.
I dont think some people realise the cost of having a HMO & the legislation involved before creating one.

Reply to Smoke alarm periodic certificate in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net