Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss So I may be buying a house with P.V. installed.... in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    It looks suspiciously like I am buying a house soon. It has a 2kw PV array and sunny boy inverter install about four years ago. I know little about PV from an installation viewpoint and even less as a potential end user. Anyone know any crash courses for dummies in PV? For instance the vendor states he gets about £600 per year from it. Sounds like magic to me I thought FIT was totalled a couple of years ago???
    And anyway how about maintaining it and so on. Can I increase to 4kw? and so on. And there are probably questions I should be asking but don't know enough to ask them. Of course I understand the basic principles of panels and the different kinds and safe isolation of a dual supply and the basic stuff along with how a rectifier works etc. But end user stuff, well haven't got a clue. Just sit back and let the money roll in?

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Must admit if I purchased a house with pv panels spoiling the roof I would ditch the lot, they look terrible. £2 a per day is hardly raking the money in.

3. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Strangely the way the roof is you can't see it anyway, well maybe a little if you crane your neck at the right distance.

4. westward10

Top Poster Of Month

I know a few years back there was whispering of these panels being a hazard for the fire services whereby their weight could aid structural collapse but it seemed to fade away.

5. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Well so far so good in my search for knowledge on PV theno_O:)
    Review;
    They look crap
    They give FA money
    They could collapse your roof
    Mhmmm.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Just wait until them tesla roof tiles go big time in the uk, you dont even realise the roof is covered in pv kit.
    I thought the feed in tariffs changed for new installs and that current ones still had slightly better rates? i might be wrong though.
    The City & Guilds course has stopped and is in the process of being re-written but was offered by DCET just up round from you by the M5
    Renewables | Photovoltaic Systems | DCET Training - http://www.dcet.co.uk/renewables/newcityguilds2399photovoltaicsystems.ashx
    There is another option by bpec and is offered by quite a few outfits around the country,
    Solar Photovoltaic (Solar PV) Installer (SPV) in Renewable Energy, Water & Gas | PPL Training - https://www.ppltraining.co.uk/training-course/renewable-energy-water-and-gas/renewable-energy-installation-and-maintenance/solar-photovoltaic-solar-pv-installer-bpec-accredited
    they are on my list after fire alarm systems courses.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. PEG

PEG Respected Member

Hi bud,what provision or description,is there in the agent's sales pack? If the arrangement is made with an individual,it will have to be transferred.

You don't want to have him sat earning that 600 squid,with you not being able to change things...:eek:

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Having done at least 20 exams in the past few years I am getting a bit jaded at the moment. Considering in theory I am ready for the glue factory do I want to do another course just to gen up on PV....but....I may.

9. Gavin John Hyde

Business Name:
    good thing is that £600 quid will pay for the course so he knows how to work out what its doing and fix it! have wondered in all this sun of late if you angled a mirror at the panels would the generation increase significantly?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. westward10

Top Poster Of Month

Don't think I have done that many in my whole life!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Now that is just the kind of **** kicking scary stuff I want to hear. Damn I am going to check that one out.

12. Gavin John Hyde

Business Name:
    also worth checking things with the solicitor as you may find some outfit owns the roof for x number of years and you in effect rent it! as a lot of people put the panels up for next to nothing, in exchange they sold the roof rights and part of the money from the feed in went to the company.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Hehe now that surpasses my capacity for being scared tonight. But now you said it that is on the list of questions for the scribe.

14. PEG

PEG Respected Member

...Add to the above,the fact that the photovoltaic charlatans may have glued them on with shrew-spit and gone bust eight times...marvellous:)

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Corbs

Corbs Regular EF Member

wont be 600

about £70 in summer and £30-40 average every quarter

• Like Like x 1