Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Socket behind washing machine near drain pipe blown fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MrTenant

Hi,
I have a socket behind a washing machine near the the open washing machine drain stand pipe. I am guessing that the pipe was blocked and the water overflowed and leaked onto the socket and blew the fuse.

The machine is new so I contacted the landlord who sent an electrician around, he said that everything was fine and safe but the machine was faulty. There was water on the floor behind the machine.

The washing machine is only 3 weeks old, the supplier came to check the machine and said that the water had leaked from the drain onto the socket, he booked with the manufacturer.

The engineer from the manufacturer said that the location of the drain and socket was not safe for fitting and voided the guarantee for the machine.

Are there specific regulations about the fitting of a socket near a open drain pipe for a washing machine? Who is at fault?

I just need some advise on what to do please.

Sorry, I cant advise on your situation. Don't know when it was done, don't know if the machine was installed or moved after etc etc. I can state that NOW if we were installing a socket outet if would have to comply to 522.3.1 so no damage is caused by ingress of water during use. One could argue that anyware in a kitchen or special location could have an ingress of water - eg a socket in a sink cuboard for a washing machine COULD get wet if the overflow blocked but I would say that it would be against regulations now to fit where ingress in likely. Only MY take on it.

Agree with the above.

If it has happend once it could happen again. Tell your landlord that it isnt safe and the socket needs re-postioning away from an form of open water drain. After all it will be his house insurence if anything goes wrong. It wont be that much to correct.

The least the landlord could do is fit a sealed hose connection on the drain standpipe. And clear the drain, it shouldn't have overflowed in the first place.

I agree with that, an open drain stand pipe and a socket next to it is just an almost inevitable outcome, especially when it's so easily avoided.

Can't see how a manufacturer can void the guarantee on the machine itself, for the fault of a drain. I'd like to see them argue the point in a court of law!!! lol!!

All this needs, is for the drain to be flushed out.

The socket was probably fine untill the waste pipe was installed.
Might be easier to just move the waste over out of harms way (once unblocked) than to relocate the socket.

if close enough to the sink, why not connect the drain from the washer to the spigot on the sink drain. ( if not fitted, it's cheap and easy to mod. the sink waste)

OK, the Electrician who fitted the socket behind the washing machine right next to and underneath the overflow did wrong, this is not safe and should be at the other side of the washing machine, and the manufacturers engineer is at it as well, this does not void the warranty or Guarantee for the washing machine, that is nonsense....they are trained/told/warned to fob off customers as much and as often as possible and will make any excuse to avoid replacing a faulty washing machine, instead expecting you to repair or replace at your own cost.
you need to pester the lot of them and get your machine replaced by the shop or the manufacturer.

Can't see how a manufacturer can void the guarantee on the machine itself, for the fault of a drain. I'd like to see them argue the point in a court of law!!! lol!!

All this needs, is for the drain to be flushed out.

Its a bit like (If you cut the plug off and hardwire into a FCU the guarentee is no more )

Get it in writing explaining why the gaurantee is terminated !

Its a bit like (If you cut the plug off and hardwire into a FCU the guarentee is no more )

Get it in writing explaining why the gaurantee is terminated ![/QUOTE

Tony we have had this conversation before where people say whats the problem but as said any domestic appliance guy will use ANY excuse not to honor the warranty now as for the drain well the socket in the wrong position will not wash because the drain for the washing machine should have been fitted properly the old systems had a stand pipe where the drain pipe from the machine hooked on to but now there is usally a spigot at the sink pipework where the hose gets pushed on to now even then I always fit a jubilee clip on because I have heard too many stories of the pipe coming adrift.

Now for this situation was it the washing machine at fault ? or was it the drain pipe set up ? either way it should never had happened I suspect the hose was just bunged into the upstand pipe and I know washing machines now come with a straight hose instead of the old hook type but understand you can get a hook clip for the pipe .As far as I am concerned there has been a washing machine their for years and there was no probs . One last point as we all know s bends and pipes under sinks can get furred up with grease and fat put down them over the years and this can gradually restrict the flow so the tenant needs to check this buy putting the plug in filling the sink with water and then pull the plug out if the water runs away quickly then ok but if it takes an age the the pipework and traps need stripped out and cleaned.

Reply to Socket behind washing machine near drain pipe blown fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net