Discuss Socket buzzes, pops and blue sparks appear in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gareth Wright

Socket buzzes, pops and blue sparks appear when switching off an input.

I have a 4 way with surge protection for my computer, 2 monitors and an audio device. I have this plugged into one wall socket.

Occasionally (not always, but usually after I've been using the computer for a while) when I come to switch the socket off, I get a pop, buzzing and blue spark from inside the socket. I've noticed some black scorching on the button which has me concerned.

This has tripped the RCD on one occurrence and on another switched off a TV in another room too.

Please can I have some advice, what's the best course of action and what the problem could be?

I hope this is the correct place to post about this problem.

Thanks

Socket buzzes, pops and blue sparks appear when switching off an input.

I have a 4 way with surge protection for my computer, 2 monitors and an audio device. I have this plugged into one wall socket.

Occasionally (not always, but usually after I've been using the computer for a while) when I come to switch the socket off, I get a pop, buzzing and blue spark from inside the socket. I've noticed some black scorching on the button which has me concerned.

This has tripped the RCD on one occurrence and on another switched off a TV in another room too.

Please can I have some advice, what's the best course of action and what the problem could be?

I hope this is the correct place to post about this problem.

Thanks

It would be advisable to get a local electrician to take a look.

if you are competent to replace the socket faceplate, that should sort it, but.... it's possible that there is an unseen problem with the wiring and it would be advisable to get a local electrician in to carry out a test on the circuit.

We're fairly new to the house, but we have noticed this on another socket downstairs when using an iron.

Could it be just a couple of old/dodgy sockets, or would this highlight a wiring issue?

Thanks for the advice

We're fairly new to the house, but we have noticed this on another socket downstairs when using an iron.

Could it be just a couple of old/dodgy sockets, or would this highlight a wiring issue?

Thanks for the advice

could be a wiring problem or could be just dodgy sockets. either way, get a local sparks in to ensure your safety. if you post your location, i'm sure there'e a member close to you can pop round. won't likely be a costly job. any decent spark would advise of cost before carrying out work.

Phoned an electrician locally and he advised that I change the offending sockets. He gave me some more advice on why it happens etc.

Thanks for your help guys.

Can you share with us what he said, thankyou....

No problem.

He basically asked what was connected to the socket, when it happened and how frequently. He explained that it's more than likely just the sockets, and they could be cheap sockets that are worn. I explained they weren't newer sockets and the older style:
UK-wall_socket.jpg

He said that because of the scorching on the sockets, could have damaged the wiring and insulation but possibly not as it was on the button switching

He said, if I was component enough to change the wall sockets then definitely do that, and change others in the house if they start failing.

and ask him to send me his crystal ball. with that, i'd not need to get off my arse.

well, could be lucky. 9/10, that's what it is. it's the 1/10 that may come back to bite you in the arse.

hope he told you to safely isolate by turning off the MAIN SWITCH

I rung another electrician and he's coming out tonight to inspect the socket, but again he said it's likely to be the wall socket. That way I have peace of mind too.

Appreciate your quite responses and advice.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what the outcome is.

(and I would definitely have turned off the main switch if changing the socket. Although the first electrician didn't advise that. :) )

Seen this with cheap sockets a few times. Not worth trying to save a few pence by using them. Daz

Reply to Socket buzzes, pops and blue sparks appear in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net