Discuss Socket not working for Kettle (2000w) but is for toaster (1000w). Both items work on neighbouring plug (dual socket) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jcc02251

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

UK btw.

Not a sparky, but have some idea of electrics from fiddling with guitar pedals and a-level physics!

Just wanted a bit of advice - we have a dual socket in the kitchen, one plug of which does not work for the kettle (2000w draw according to the base), but does for the toaster (1000W). The breaker is not thrown by the Kettlewell being plugged in, it just doesn't work. The kettle does work in the other plug of the dual socket, so I think the kettle isn't broken.

Could anyone advise what this might be - is there anything obvious I'm missing (is there an automatic draw sensor in the plug that is stopping the current). Or is this an issue for someone more qualified?

Nothing complicated going on here.
it is most likely a faulty socket, over time the springs in the socket can get week so the power is not connected to the plug pins.

The fact that it sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t will mean there’s a fault in the socket.
As above, loose springs to grip the socket. Can cause arcing, overheating and a fire!

Avoid using it until it’s replaced!

Reply to Socket not working for Kettle (2000w) but is for toaster (1000w). Both items work on neighbouring plug (dual socket) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net