Discuss Socket problem - can you help? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Suet33

DIY
Reaction score
We are having problems with one socket which my husband has changed the front plate on. When he tried to attach the new front cover it singed the screw and blew the fuse. What could be causing this?

As Risteard said, he's almost certainly managed to nick one of the conductor cables inside the box with the screw that holds the plate on. The problem you now have though is a damaged conductor which will need repairing - to be blunt, if you/husband couldn't figure that out then I'd respectfully suggest you're probably not capable of making that safe repair either - so your DIY just cost you ten mins of an elecrician charging an hourly call-out rate.

As Risteard said, he's almost certainly managed to nick one of the conductor cables inside the box with the screw that holds the plate on. The problem you now have though is a damaged conductor which will need repairing - to be blunt, if you/husband couldn't figure that out then I'd respectfully suggest you're probably not capable of making that safe repair either - so your DIY just cost you ten mins of an elecrician charging an hourly call-out rate.
Harsh but true !!!

As per previous posts. Sorry to say it but not being able to assess such an obvious situation really does show an absence of common sense as well as basic knowledge.
Call someone with sufficient experience before anything else.

Screwing a socket on whilst having the supply on isn't a good idea either.

Would have expected the rcd to trip though before any real current flowed (Assuming you have one, that is).

Screwing a socket on whilst having the supply on isn't a good idea either.

Would have expected the rcd to trip though before any real current flowed (Assuming you have one, that is).
A bit more shocking than a screw singe whilst fitting the socket, I feel. That would have gone with real bang, in hand.

Can't see 'em replacing the socket without isolating, really. Now that WOULD be dumb.
If so, I hope it was an insulated driver....

I had a very red-faced customer do this very thing earlier in the summer - I'd just completed and signed off a part rewire and he was left to make good. Got a phone call that there was a fault kept tripping the RCBO, needed to come back my mistake. My first bet was that the wetheads had been in after me and disturbed something in the attic cable or possibly an early mice attack - took me an hour before I found the fried conductor behind the light switch plate where he'd lifted it off for decorating.... He was so embarrased he insisted I charge him for a full day due to my drive time to/fro.

Reminds me of one not long ago… metal switch faceplate slackened off at the screws for wallpapering.
Woman was trimming the paper with a kitchen knife in behind the switch plate.

Still live. Fizz, pop, bang.

Guess she was lucky the metal plate was earthed.

The point my esteemed colleagues are trying to make is that, even if the cables are moved and no longer catch under the screw, there must be damage to the conductor, reducing the size. The damaged part must be cut off, and may mean the cable is not long enough to reach the terminal, and will need to be extended.

Please take our advice and get an electrician to fix it... It shouldn't take any more than an hour. They can also advise on upgrading the fusebox/ consumer unit to include RCD protection so it will be much safer next time there's an accident.

Reply to Socket problem - can you help? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net