Currently reading:
Sockets stopped working

Discuss Sockets stopped working in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there! I am new to this site and was hoping someone can help me as I have a problem with my elecrics and can’t seem to find the issue . 9 plug sockets have stopped working in three rooms but none of the circuit breakers have tripped in the main board. I have checked the wire connections and plug sockets but there doesn’t seem to be any loose wires or indication of damage. Can anyone help?

Are all the other circuits working?
It could be that the CB for the sockets has tripped, but the switch has, because of a faulty Circuit breaker remained physically in the on position, try switching it off and then back on again, if this is successful, then sods law says you have a faulty CB, time for an electrician to be called upon, not an expensive job, but well worth doing, if you were closer to my location I would pay you a visit.

Last edited:
Yes everything else is working apart from the 9 plugs. It’s strange as it seems other plugs on the same circuit are working

As @Pete999 suggests, they may be on a different circuit.
Switch off the breaker for the sockets and see if the 'working' sockets are still working. That will confirm the sockets are on the same circuit.

Are these sockets all in a new room? It could be that someone has added these with a 13A switched fuse at the beginning of the string of sockets. If the total load has exceeded 13A then it may have popped, or someone might have turned it off.
Do you have one of these and have said to yourself "I wonder what that is for".

AA13SCF.JPG

i'd make a guess they are all on 1 circuit. are they identified in the consumer unit.and can you post a pic of said consumer unit?

To give a indication of what could be checked,knowing the circuit type would be handy,is it a radial or a ring

What circuits do you have listed on your consumer unit and what configuration are the protective devices

Picture of cons unit ?

In my experience of inspection and tests, the number of non-continuous conductor faults on RFCs, that remain undetected until the test, is very high. My guess is that there are now two of these faults, at either end of the faulty section.
Have any of the socket fronts been disturbed recently?

Reply to Sockets stopped working in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock