Discuss Sockets stopped working in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

They could be on a different circuit, have you tried my point post 6?
Ok I’ll try answer all the questions sorry if I miss any I tried point 6 but the 9 plugs are still not working but I do think that they are on the same circuit so may be an issue with the CB. I’ve attach a picture of the cons unit- it states it’s a ring circuit. I think the issue is with the 4th CB to the right (currently switched 0ff) as when it is down or up it does not affect any of the other plugs so I am assuming it is linked to the 9 plugs that are not working. Could I try switching the CBs or should I call an electrician? Thanks again!

6C1CFD2D-4AD0-4344-88D9-1BA8DEB9E33B.jpeg

In my experience of inspection and tests, the number of non-continuous conductor faults on RFCs, that remain undetected until the test, is very high. My guess is that there are now two of these faults, at either end of the faulty section.
Have any of the socket fronts been disturbed recently?
Yes I have just bought the place and the sockets are coming away from the wall. I recently plugged something in and now 9 plugs have stopped working.

Ok I’ll try answer all the questions sorry if I miss any I tried point 6 but the 9 plugs are still not working but I do think that they are on the same circuit so may be an issue with the CB. I’ve attach a picture of the cons unit- it states it’s a ring circuit. I think the issue is with the 4th CB to the right (currently switched 0ff) as when it is down or up it does not affect any of the other plugs so I am assuming it is linked to the 9 plugs that are not working. Could I try switching the CBs or should I call an electrician? Thanks again!

View attachment 40267
Best get an electrician in to inspect and test the circuit.

View attachment 40267
why is that 16A breaker off? could that be the problem?

It’s a 16A MCB, so the circuit probably is a radial. Maybe it simply was overloaded.
@Connan Gibson turn that MCB on and see is anything starts working.

If not, then you’ll need an electrician, unless you are handy with a test meter.

Looks like he has already tried the breaker.
Spoon the OP intimated that it "didn't affect any of the other sockets" now to me that indicates he didn't try the sockets that had failed, nor did he say if it tripped when he switched it on, his initial post did not mention any breakers that were off, summat odd going on? Whats your take?

Whats your take?

Buggered if I know mate.. It all sounds strange.

I think the issue is with the 4th CB to the right (currently switched 0ff) as when it is down or up it does not affect any of the other plugs so I am assuming it is linked to the 9 plugs that are not working

Hi OP. Just out of curiosity, are you saying that when the 4th breaker if off all the other sockets in the area are working besides the '9 faulty' ones?

Yes everything else is working apart from the 9 plugs. It’s strange as it seems other plugs on the same circuit are working

Buggered if I know mate.. It all sounds strange.

Hi OP. Just out of curiosity, are you saying that when the 4th breaker if off all the other sockets in the area are working besides the '9 faulty' ones?
Correct. Must be that the other plugs are on a different circuit then the 9 faulty ones. Will let you know the outcome once the Electrician has had a look. Hopefully its not going to be expensive!

how does the 16A breaker feel compared to others?is it sloppy when switched or do you get a distinct click? could be that the breaker has been overloaded over a period of time and just died.

The other -or- is more dangerous - half RFC alive , and prone to overload . Do get some-one in soon !
(Has any decorating been done recently ?)

Last edited:
It sounds as if you have a 16A radial circuit with nine sockets on it.
This is the circuit breaker you have identified even though it is unlabelled in the consumer unit.
It sounds as if there is either a loose connection that pulled out of a terminal between the circuit breaker and the first socket in the line or that the circuit breaker has failed.
If you were to describe to the electrician that you plugged something in and these specific nine sockets in the lounge and the two bedrooms stopped working but no protective device tripped and that the only circuit breaker that now does not appear to do anything is the unlabelled one then they should be able to resolve the problem fairly easily. If you were to tell them that you have a high integrity MK sentry consumer unit then they should be able to have a circuit breaker available if a replacement were required.

Another possibility is that the 16a MCB is just a spare. There is what appears to be an RFC marked as kitchen, and one marked as ring circuit, which in a small house could cover the living room and bedrooms. Perhaps reseetting this one is worth a go?

Reply to Sockets stopped working in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net