Discuss Solar iboost not working in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have a solar iboost which was working fine then suddenly stopped. If you turn it off at the mains and then on again, it says low voltage and heats via solar initially with a high reading then this drops until zero and it states heating off. Amy ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks

Dear Mary12345: I cannot find a message which says 'low voltage' but I did find one 'Sender battery low'; perhaps this is what you meant. If it was 'Sender battery low' then you need to replace the two AA batteries in the sender; do not use rechargeable batteries - only use normal alkaline as you buy in the shops.

The sender is this device which connects via a lead to the clamp around a cable near the meter:

Solar iBoost+ Sender - Marlec - https://www.marlec.co.uk/product/solar-iboost-sender/

Dear Mary12345: I cannot find a message which says 'low voltage' but I did find one 'Sender battery low'; perhaps this is what you meant. If it was 'Sender battery low' then you need to replace the two AA batteries in the sender; do not use rechargeable batteries - only use normal alkaline as you buy in the shops.

The sender is this device which connects via a lead to the clamp around a cable near the meter:

Solar iBoost+ Sender - Marlec - https://www.marlec.co.uk/product/solar-iboost-sender/

We have changed the batteries in the sender and no difference. The light on the sender is flashing intermittently and the little Wi-fi signal is also flashing on the iboost itself. The low voltage message appears briefly as you switch the mains switch back on on the iboost, the. It is replaced with the version/model details briefly then goes to normal display and the blue light comes on and heats via solar initially at a level expected for the weather but this then slowly drops/decreases until the display reads heating off. You can then turn the iboost off again via the mains and on again and the whole process is repeated but obviously can’t do this all the time.....

Mary12345: Good morning Madam. To submit a query I need to know the following information:

1. Press display and please tell me the savings made today, yesterday, last seven days, last 28 days etc.

2. Is it the Iboost or Iboost plus?

3. Do you know when it was installed and by whom?

4. Do you have battery storage for your PV system?

5. Does the green light on the sender flash?

6. Does the radio symbol (top right) on the iBoost display flash? It looks like a Christmas tree with waves.

7. Are you still able to heat the water using the electric immersion element?

Thank you.

:)

Mary12345: Good morning Madam. To submit a query I need to know the following information:

1. Press display and please tell me the savings made today, yesterday, last seven days, last 28 days etc.

2. Is it the Iboost or Iboost plus?

3. Do you know when it was installed and by whom?

4. Do you have battery storage for your PV system?

5. Does the green light on the sender flash?

6. Does the radio symbol (top right) on the iBoost display flash? It looks like a Christmas tree with waves.

7. Are you still able to heat the water using the electric immersion element?

Thank you.

:)
1 - today 0; yesterday 0; last 7 0.36 (me turning it on and off otherwise would be 0); last 28 days 95.99; total 5198.00

2- iboost

3- can’t find any paperwork apart from the manual - think we had it installed just after the solar panels in 2016 ish

4- no

5- yes

6- yes

7- yes; kicks in when press boost, haven’t left on to see if heats water to full temperature over time as is expensive and we have an oil boiler to heat water

Thank you

I have submitted a query into Marlec the manufacturer. If I were to hazard a guess on what is wrong I think the iBoost's internal 'keep alive' battery is flat.

Mary12345: Eventually my telephone call to MARLEC went through to a recorded message: 'blah, blah, blah, covid, difficult time, blah, etcetera'. The advice in it is to do what I have done for you already - complete an on-line query and wait for a response. We will have to be patient.

Reply to Solar iboost not working in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net