Discuss Solar immersion device capable of running 6kW immersion in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi

I was not aware that they were limited to 13 amps but that would be logical to avoid stressing the components . I can only speak in relation to my I2 Intelligent Immersion model that I have.

If it would help I can modify my wiring to accommodate a clamp meter and measure to see if it does limit to 13 amps from the way it sounds at times I do not think it does .

I have had it feeding 3 1200w halogen heaters at the same time you can see it disconnecting and sampling the current probably 3 or 4 times
a minute and watch the clouds pass over the panels by the intensity of the heat being produced .

By some means it chops the current to modulate the amount going to the load to equate to the surplus energy available and I am sure it can go into any type of restive load 3, 4, 6 or 10 Kw load it will only pass what is available from the PV on the phase to which it is attached .

Assuming a 3 phase inverter on the 10Kw array I imagine that would split evenly across the 3 phases so on full solar output the best it could do would be 3.3 kw into your 6 kw immersion element .

I have a time clock that switches it over to over ride in the early hours at this time of year to give it 3 hours of economy 7 as the solar generation is a best 6 kw a day this month and on to many not much more than one .

Last edited:
Since Posting I have come across a 3 phase Diversion Device .

No knowledge about it apart from what I have read .

http://www.mk2pvrouter.co.uk/61101.html

But @ Solar City as your requirement is for powering a single phase immersion element I am sure it is not going to help at all.

But it may be the answer for someone else .

However I am certain that any of the proportional devices will not mind a 6 Kw load .
As they are limiting the output to match power available .
A lot of the time they putting 2 or 300 watts into a 3 kw load . they are virtually never supplying the 3kw into the 3Kw load except on "over ride " mode and you should be able to disable that feature without to much trouble .

IMO getting optimal self use out of a 3 phase installation in a domestic situation is not easy at all .

Since Posting I have come across a 3 phase Diversion Device .

No knowledge about it apart from what I have read .

http://www.mk2pvrouter.co.uk/61101.html

But @ Solar City as your requirement is for powering a single phase immersion element I am sure it is not going to help at all.

But it may be the answer for someone else .

However I am certain that any of the proportional devices will not mind a 6 Kw load .
As they are limiting the output to match power available .
A lot of the time they putting 2 or 300 watts into a 3 kw load . they are virtually never supplying the 3kw into the 3Kw load except on "over ride " mode and you should be able to disable that feature without to much trouble .

IMO getting optimal self use out of a 3 phase installation in a domestic situation is not easy at all .

i have the single phase version, built it myself from a kit he supplied. it works really well, maybe not as smooth as a full PWM unit, my fridge light dims slightly when switching, but it does keep my export to 0.

if the immersion is single phase you might be able to get him to do a ssr version with a bigger ssr to handle the load. i have the triac version but i know its something he is looking into to replace the triac board.

Reply to Solar immersion device capable of running 6kW immersion in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net