Discuss Solar Panel Array to charge 24v batterys in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dougy

Solar panel details

Hello everyone
Im a new member to the forum, i have done a course on industrial electronics so im no expert on solar panel arrays etc,

Im thinking now of making up a solar panel array (off grid) to charge 24v batteries(2x12v) and use them with 24v to 240v true sine wave inverters for different ring main circuits around the house

I Have a 30amp solar charge controller with a load disconnect at 22.2v and load reconnect at 25.20v. float voltage at 27.2v
my Question now is i have solar panels with these specs below

Max power (Pmax) 245W

Max. power voltage (vpm) 29.75V

Max. current voltage (Ipm) 8.24A

open circuit voltage (Voc) 36.6V

Short circuit current (Isc) 8.90A

Max. system voltage 1000V

Max. fuse rating 14A

size 1637 x 992 x 50mm

if i used 3 of these panels in parallel (Max. power voltage(vpm) 29.75V giving a total of (Max. current voltage (Ipm) 24.72A would that be sufficient to charge the batteries or would 4 be better 32.96A on those not so sunny days

thx for you help everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not an expert on this, but one will come along shortly, and there are some good one's on here.

But I will try and help a little, panels are tested under STC (standard test conditions) so on a cool day with clear sunshine (I can not wait for that) they can and do produce more than stated, also on a hot day they will produce less.

From the little I know on this subject 2x12v through an inverter will not power much at all, and certainly not for long.

There was a thread on here recenctly about this very thing, try doing a search using different "key words"

I hope this helps a little for now.

I am not an expert on this, but one will come along shortly, and there are some good one's on here.

But I will try and help a little, panels are tested under STC (standard test conditions) so on a cool day with clear sunshine (I can not wait for that) they can and do produce more than stated, also on a hot day they will produce less.

From the little I know on this subject 2x12v through an inverter will not power much at all, and certainly not for long.

There was a thread on here recenctly about this very thing, try doing a search using different "key words"

I hope this helps a little for now.

thx for your reply Earthstore i do understand that i will need a few more battery's i just need to work out the setup later for the circuits etc, i do have a 2500w invertor with 2 12v in series at 75amp each batteries, ive been running the house lights top and bottom circuits, all 11watt energy bulbs and a small 50W portable TV which i have been running not continually but for 2 days at present all still going well, il let you know when it gets dark lol.:cool4:
i will be getting more invertors and batteries for each different curcuit etc.

this is just in the early stages yet

its just the charging and setup side from the array im not 100% on

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Solar Panel Array to charge 24v batterys in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net