Discuss sorry if in the wrong place.. but im new in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi everyone.. just a quick heads up.. i'm currently fixing a tv set and i've found the piece that i need to replace, but it's nothing that i know about. any help would be massively appreciated :)
IMG_20211024_104439.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What multimeter tests did you do? Did you measure the resistance of the white resistor?

Is this an old crt screen?

Are you aware of the electrical charge that some of those capacitors may be holding?

You can still get a nasty belt off one, even if the set is unplugged

Which part? Red/brown parts are capacitors, and the white part (I think I can just make out the writing) is a 10 ohm 5W resistor, which would be expected to run warm and discolour the board over time.
looks bigger than 5w to me.

No offense, but a clearer picture and some more detail would be useful.

Plus as James said ^^^ if you know nothing about what it is you are looking at then how do you know how to test and what results to expect? How can you possibly test something that you know nothing about?

Often when a resistor is burnt / open-circuit it is only a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. In PSUs especially, many failures take out half a dozen parts at the same time, some of which will show no outward signs of damage. But if you don't change them all in one hit, and then start the thing up on a lamp limiter, the one bad part you left behind will destroy all the others again.

Repairing electronics only by what looks burnt, is going to need a lot of luck on your side! Post the model number, link to circuit diagram if you have one, symptoms, readings you have taken etc. This is not a TV repair forum but some of us know a thing or two about electronics.

Reply to sorry if in the wrong place.. but im new in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net