Discuss Spotlights in a bedroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lofty84

So I am going to be putting some spotlights in a bedroom when Ive done them before its always been via running a new lighting circuit from the board. This time theres already a pendant fitting in the room so I was going to re wire everything in the rose into a junctionbox which I hope is ok. In regards to the switch line which I will snip of so I dont loose it does this go with the lives?

Also is there a method for getting you spolights into possition the most efficient way or is it just a case of putting them in by eye hoping to avoid and joist's

cheers

Why snip off the switch? How are you gonna turn on the lights!!
Work out where you want the spots and find out which way the joists run, have a look in the loft.

I was told that if you just snip of the end of the switch line when you take it out of the rose you will always no which one is the switch line when you come back to wire it up .....

Doing it this way I have never had the misfortune of losing whcih one was the switch line however if I did I think its just a case of taking my tester and attaching the prongs between live and neautral and switching the switch until I get a noise
telling me yep thas the one ?

Deffo going to be taking a look into the loft to get my bearings in regards to which way the joists run. Once I know this Im going to proceed with the whole cutting but I just wondered if there was a logical way of working out how to best space them.

For example I dont know if you find the centre of the room and then do some mathimatical formula to aid you in there placement. hope that makes sence

Easiest way with your switched live is to sleeve it. Light positioning is harder, how many lights, grid pattern requires accurate measuring, pretty patterns requires artistic licence and random patterns requires close your eyes and bodge with a broom handle.

get an idea of where you want the lights, working on a spacing of 36". then at the first light, stab as small hole up through the ceiling. get up in the attic. find the hole (a rod with a LED on the end is usefull). then if it's not in the center of 2 joists, adjust the position so that it is. then from your new hole. chalk line or laser the positions.

Agree with telectrix, chalk or laser line the light positions. A off-center light sticks out like a sore thumb. Pre-drill all light positions and using a rod, check in loft for obstacles.

I nearly forgot .....In regards to the switch line where does this go in the junction box I guess it should be placed with all the other lives and not with the Neauteals. If I put it in with the neutrals would That be classed as borrowing a Neauteal thus making it very dangerous for the next person who comes along especially if I forgot to brown sleeve It for example

I nearly forgot .....In regards to the switch line where does this go in the junction box I guess it should be placed with all the other lives and not with the Neauteals. If I put it in with the neutrals would That be classed as borrowing a Neauteal thus making it very dangerous for the next person who comes along especially if I forgot to brown sleeve It for example
Lofty it's normal 3 plate wiring mate, if you put the switched live with the neutrals A) the lights will not work and B) you're making a short circuit.

Your over complicating things...

Dont alter the wiring...instead of a flex to the lamp holder swap it for some cable to your first spotlight....and swap the ceiling rose for junction box thats easily accessible IE not above a false ceiling...Using a maintenance free JB will be a lot better...

Find your joist posititions by scanning a magnet across the ceiling to find the lines of nails/screws, then you can plan your light positions without jabbing experimental holes in the ceiling :)

now you're just being too technically clever. LOL.

Heres what i do...
To get the positions for the lights, divide the length of the room by the number of lights in a row ie 3m long room with 6 lights in 2 rows: 3 meters divided by 3 lights= 1 metre
This is the gap between lights in that row
Then divide this by two to get the distance from the wall to the first/last lights so 0.5m
So you have
Wall_0.5m_light_1m_light_1m_light_0.5m_wall
Use the same method for the width of the room
ie 2 metres divided by 2 lights
so
wall_0.5m_light_1m_light_0.5m_wall
This gives you the most even spread of light across the room
Now you have your 6 lights marked draw round each one using the holesaw you plan to use as a stencil
Now on each light outline, using a very thin screwdriver stripped of its insulation, bang a hole in the centre and 4 holes round the edge in the shape of a cross (parallel to the walls of course)
If you hit an obstruction, ascertain which way the joists run and if nessecary move the whole row of lights to avoid that joist. You may then choose to move the other rows to ensure even spacing, this can be time consuming.
Once you have all lights in positions without obstruction and evenly spaced, then and only then, you may cut your holes.

With regards to the pendant, just take it off, mark the switch line using cut/tape/sleeving whatever (this is just common sense and its slightly worrying that you are asking about it) push the cables into the loft and reconnect them into a wago box. If there is no loft you may have to cut an extra 50mm+ sized round hole where the pendant was to push the box through which you then batten and refit the cutout.

This method is the one I always use and works well for me. It saves me jumping in and out of the loft like a chimpanzee on crystal meth. The downside is that there may be some minor making good to do on the ceiling but I always warn my clients that they should book a plasterer, decorator, industrial cleaning firm, carpet fitter and the fire brigade to follow me immediatley after any job I do, no matter how small.

For some reason not all of them find this funny....

Reply to Spotlights in a bedroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net