Search the forum,

Discuss storage heaters via time clock and contactors help? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phase2Phase

i have installed a time clock and 2 contactors from it 2 control the heaters becoz the guy doesnt want the heaters coming on at the wknds (coz the shop is closed) anyway ever since i did this a couple days ago the heaters never heat up fully? so i connected them bypassin the contactors and timer (so back 2 normal) and they heated up fully any1 got any ideas y this is happenin i hav never known this b4.

any help would b appreciated
thanks
shane.

Hi.

Sounds like a faulty contactor.

Could you test the resistance of the poles of the contactor to make sure there is a good connection when the coil is energised

Another cause could be the overload being incorrectly set i.e cutting out the supply before the heaters have had a chance to warm up fully due to too higher a current being drawn.

Just another thought....is the timer set for long enough, i.e 7 hours???:)

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all remember that the timeclock should be set to switch off on a Friday and Saturday night say 17:00 and not Saturday and Sunday as these units need to charge up the night before.

Although a bit confused why you are using 2 contactors when a 4-pole single could do the same job so first of all you need a 6amp supply from the normal or 24 hour side of the board to supply the timeclock and then switch the coil of the contactors(s) then you need to "break" the supplies to the heaters from the off peak board throgh the load side of the contactor other than that it should be a scoosh.

PS mind do not switch the earth of the heater through the contactor only the L&N

i hav 2 contactors bcoz i hav 6 heaters so got two 3pole contactors

and cud poss hav my contactors overloaded will double check later wil let u no wen i hav looked thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
been 2 look at the heaters and realised the economy 7 was switchin on around 7oclock which confused me lol but i changed the time my time clock cums on so wil c if it worked 2moro

Reply to storage heaters via time clock and contactors help? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net