Discuss Strange noise from electrical cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

tom154

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I live in a one bed apt. We've got a utilities cupboard with boiler, fuse box, and a large maybe 2ft x 2 ft sealed unit which is linked up to the fusebox, so excuse my ignorance but presume thats something electrical..

Anyway, maybe one a week for a few hours strange noises come from it for a few hours.
Can only describe them as being like someone playing on an old type writer or maybe making a clicking noise with their mouth..
It's constant but seems to just stop after a few hours..

Any ideas ? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Some photos could help identify what might be in the box! A video or audio recording would also be a big help.

Pic of the box and a clip of the sound...

Attachments

• 1 (online-audio-converter.com).mp3
    164.4 KB
  • 2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 63
Pic of the box and a clip of the sound...
It's not immediately obvious to me what that could be. Is that a small label at the bottom left of the box? If so what does it say on it?

What sort of wires go from the fusebox to the box itself? a picture with both in might really help.

This is all in your flat, and not a communal area right? If it was communal it might be some sort of timer for communal lights. That size box in a domestic flat is unusual, but hopefully someone will recognise it.

The noise sounds like maybe some sort of contactor constantly switching - is anything not working, or seems to come on at the times your noise occurs?

One thing you could try is to turn off your fusebox completely at the main switch the next time it is making the noise, and see if it stops - that would at least show whether it is electrical.

Of course everyone wants to see what's in the box, but I wouldn't remove the cover unless you are confident as there may well be live parts inside. If there are, obviously don't proceed any further unless you are sure you've isolated whatever circuit it might be on.

Do you have an alarm system? They are sometimes in smaller boxes, though this one is a bit on the large size for it.

maybe its a mouse typing out a letter
It's not typing. Mousie has built himself a little Blériot XI biplane replica with an Anzani 3-cyl 'fan' engine and is warming it up.
Youtube: Anzani 3-cyl idling

Seriously though, it's an unusual box making sounds like a couple of relays hunting. Let's see some pictures of what it's connected to.

tom154: Would you take and post a photo of the consumer unit/fusebox which you mentioned is below the white metal box?

Show any labeling of the fuses/circuit breakers please ie:

domestic-plastic-electrical-consumer-unit-distribution-unit-with-rcd-trip-switches-in-the-uk-M...jpg

Reply to Strange noise from electrical cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net