Discuss Strange noise through party wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

scrjack

DIY
Reaction score
Hello

I notice a strange intermittent noise which seems to come through the party wall of my neighbour. It appears to originate from their cupboard containing the fuse box and smart meter. However the neighbour cannot hear it.

Any idea what might cause it. You will probably have to use speakers or headphones to hear it with the volume turned up as it was recorded on my phone.

Many thanks

Keith

Last edited:
I can hear it with headphones on and I've got far from perfect hearing, starts at just after 3 secs, stops at 6 secs, low drumming?

I've no idea what it is, how often does it make the noise?

I can hear it with headphones on and I've got far from perfect hearing, starts at just after 3 secs, stops at 6 secs, low drumming?

I've no idea what it is, how often does it make the noise?
Yes that's it. It appears at different times. There are days it can be heard at regular intervals of 2 hours 45 mins, sometimes 3 hours 10 minutes over a period of up to 18 hours. Then I won't hear anything for a day or two. At the moment the noise appears quite randomly day and night. I was able to record it because I could predict when I would hear it on one of it's regular patterns. Because of the regular intervals I'm also thinking it could be the smart meter.

Have you actually stuck your head near their meter to see if it is indeed coming from there?

Have you actually stuck your head near their meter to see if it is indeed coming from there?
It's the neighbour's meter. The time it was doing regular intervals was 4-6 weeks ago. Since then it has been between 1 and 3 times over a day/night then silence for a couple of days. At the moment it is impossible to predict.

It's the neighbour's meter. The time it was doing regular intervals was 4-6 weeks ago. Since then it has been between 1 and 3 times over a day/night then silence for a couple of days. At the moment it is impossible to predict.

So it's definitely coming from their meter then? Not much you can do apart from maybe contact the supplier, although you may need your neighbour to do that - assuming they are willing.

So it's definitely coming from their meter then? Not much you can do apart from maybe contact the supplier, although you may need your neighbour to do that - assuming they are willing.
Thanks DPG, I think it has to be the meter or fuse box due to where I think the source is coming from through the party wall. Seems an odd noise for a smart meter though. I think the neighbour would be willing to contact the supplier.

So when you listened directly to the meter in the cupboard, you could hear it, but your neighbour could not?

So when you listened directly to the meter in the cupboard, you could hear it, but your neighbour could not?
The meter is on the party wall in a cupboard in the neighbour's house. The neighbour says he has not heard anything when going about his daily routine in the house. When I sit in my living room I hear the noise coming through the party wall from the direction of where the neighbour's fuse box and meter are situated in the cupboard. As the noise only lasts 3-4 seconds and is random at the moment it is not possible to know when to stand next to the party wall to hear it.

Reply to Strange noise through party wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net