Discuss Strange / Scary Experiences in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been sat here with a bottle of Bordeaux thinking about some of the odd experiences I had during my early working life, now I lived and worked in Bath during my Apprenticeship and a lot of our clients came from the Georgian houses that made up a lot of Bath's wealthy residents. My boss said righto Pete first job on your own number --- Great Pultney Street 5-6 stories, bloody great doors and windows, you know the sort Sherlock Holmes types, a lot of these houses were a bit spooky if, like me you were a bit of a wimp in those days, rang the bell, creaky door opened, and I swear the guy that oped it was Boris Karloff, fastest socket change in history, put the fear of Christ up me I'll tell you, how about you guys, got any tales to tell?

Only last week pete, We were on an old house in sheffield i was working at the top of the cellar steps when i felt someone watching me , so i turned quickly to look down the stairs to see a shadow dissapearing out of sight, then about an hour later the lad asked if i was in the cellar , no i said im in kitchen why, because i could swear i just saw you walk accross the cellar!!!, there were 2 floor boards up in the dining room so you could see through the gap to the cellar. we spent the rest of the day like bloody scooby doo and shaggy!!

Many years ago while residing in secure psychiatric units, Claybury and Halliwick that was scary,now luxury apartments,both closed in early90s.

Just corrected that for you dave, tell us more!!

would love to hear stories about some of the old asylums, with the age range of some of our members, some must have wired a few, I am not going to name any candidates though

Worked in lots of supposed haunted buildings but never been bothered by any. apart from one, Hull city hall where apparently it caught fire during a air raid in the war so everyone took refuge in the cellar. Along came the fire brigade and doused the flames drowning them all in the basement, walking along the corridors at night on your own really did freak me and everyone else on site out.

would love to hear stories about some of the old asylums, with the age range of some of our members, some must have wired a few, I am not going to name any candidates though

It was an experience!! , would tell a few tales, but we have to be PC now an I don't think it is appropriate, don't wish to get banned on here.

hi guys, as you may or may not know i am still a trainee / college boy, ........and this is not a ghost type story,...but scary still.....but a family friend (paul) once told me ((and i think a lot of you can relate to the setting)....that he was working in a secure facility for the...well, it was for everyone from people who were a little bit oddball, to the other wings that were full of people who tried to cut other peoples faces off,.....people that had a thing for (attempted i assume ??) cannibalism, people who regularly spoke to the angel of death and collected sharp weapone etc etc.....

well he said a few of um were working in one of the more dangerous parts of the facility ..and it was all on lock down, but the doors on the upmost floor opened up ,..asn some (a lot) of the people that resided there , noticing visitors in the building, all charged down the stairs screaming like banshees, they (the sparkies) all bricked it, but when they got close enough they were all harmless (this time)...after the madness had subsided, it was noticed that pauls screwdrivers were missing a few....

apparently they told the staff liketty split and the whole place went on lockdown like a supermax facility.......took hours to find the drivers,....may not seem scary to some, but it put the wind up that lot,....i asked, wot was worse, the drivers goin missin and lockdown, knowing someone could shank you .....or the running screaming banshees coming down the stairs....

he said the screaming comind down the stairs was terrifying,....because all they had had for the week prior to the install starting was warnings, special training and stories,....stories about the people who lived there and the sort of things they were in for...

...thats...scary.

spark2b

Cutting this down as much as poss:
Old newsagents in Clevedon. Removing all existing wiring (lead sheathing!) Two of us. Door to the street at front locked from the inside and keys in the door. Me and my colleague standing outside the side door having a break. I turned towards my colleague who was standing beside the door and saw a thin skinny tall guy with a grey v-neck jumper and a white shirt, combed back grey hair, underneath walk walk past the door on the inside, right to left. Who's that? i said to my colleague. We both went in and searched the place and there was nobody there. And it would have been pretty difficult to walk right to left across the door opening as there was a wall on the right side. So of course I had the mickey ripped out of me for the rest of the day. Couple of weeks later after doing the temporary install for a tv drama being shot in the newsagent, i met the woman who lived in the flat above, jokingly said the place was haunted and told her what had happened, and ...... the guy I described to her she said was her father who owned and worked there for 35 years, and had died just over two years previously. ........ cold shiver down the spine.

Worked in lots of supposed haunted buildings but never been bothered by any. apart from one, Hull city hall where apparently it caught fire during a air raid in the war so everyone took refuge in the cellar. Along came the fire brigade and doused the flames drowning them all in the basement, walking along the corridors at night on your own really did freak me and everyone else on site out.

.....just....wow

creepy!

We had a contract with a Teachers Training college just outside of Bath, 3 mile road up to the school with the usual street lighting, well it goes faulty , a gang of 6 of us went to effect repairs, with me being the youngest, what do you get on long lonely roads in the country? Cows that' what you get Bulls and freakin Cows and I was scared shyteless of them, the barstewards made me walk every where, never got over my fears of anything bovine, Bulls and Cows that is

I suppose anyone who's been in the game (no, not on the game!) for a few years has stories to tell.

The is one that has stuck in my mind.
It was a drive panel that had a main DC supply, about 600Vdc, and an auxiliary 3-ph 415Vac supply.
Our customer went in to change a bolted fuse but had turned off only the 415Vac. His spanner shorted between the fuse terminal and the panel steelwork - and evaporated. He was very, very seriously burned and off work for months. Truly horrible.

I saw the panel on a fairly regular basis after that and the evidence of the event was quite grisly - I won't go into detail.
It did two things to me - apart from the horror aspect.

It was our design and the wording on the warning labels was mine.
Large, mandatory blue, prominently displayed, and with direct instructions about turning off both supplies and ensuring that all capacitors had discharged before doing anything. Of course that preyed on my mind. Could it have been better written and avoided what very easily have been a fatality? Was I to blame? That would haunt you - It does me to this day and the incident was about twenty years ago.

The second aspect is the message it gives and one that can be used in a positive way. To reinforce just how lethal electricity can be. Not just the shocking aspect but the explosive release of thermal energy.

A salutary tale for all.

hi guys, as you may or may not know i am still a trainee / college boy, ........and this is not a ghost type story,...but scary still.....but a family friend (paul) once told me ((and i think a lot of you can relate to the setting)....that he was working in a secure facility for the...well, it was for everyone from people who were a little bit oddball, to the other wings that were full of people who tried to cut other peoples faces off,.....people that had a thing for (attempted i assume ??) cannibalism, people who regularly spoke to the angel of death and collected sharp weapone etc etc.....

well he said a few of um were working in one of the more dangerous parts of the facility ..and it was all on lock down, but the doors on the upmost floor opened up ,..asn some (a lot) of the people that resided there , noticing visitors in the building, all charged down the stairs screaming like banshees, they (the sparkies) all bricked it, but when they got close enough they were all harmless (this time)...after the madness had subsided, it was noticed that pauls screwdrivers were missing a few....

apparently they told the staff liketty split and the whole place went on lockdown like a supermax facility.......took hours to find the drivers,....may not seem scary to some, but it put the wind up that lot,....i asked, wot was worse, the drivers goin missin and lockdown, knowing someone could shank you .....or the running screaming banshees coming down the stairs....

he said the screaming comind down the stairs was terrifying,....because all they had had for the week prior to the install starting was warnings, special training and stories,....stories about the people who lived there and the sort of things they were in for...

...thats...scary.

spark2b

You can't say that now days

I suppose anyone who's been in the game (no, not on the game!) for a few years has stories to tell.

The is one that has stuck in my mind.
It was a drive panel that had a main DC supply, about 600Vdc, and an auxiliary 3-ph 415Vac supply.
Our customer went in to change a bolted fuse but had turned off only the 415Vac. His spanner shorted between the fuse terminal and the panel steelwork - and evaporated. He was very, very seriously burned and off work for months. Truly horrible.

I saw the panel on a fairly regular basis after that and the evidence of the event was quite grisly - I won't go into detail.
It did two things to me - apart from the horror aspect.

It was our design and the wording on the warning labels was mine.
Large, mandatory blue, prominently displayed, and with direct instructions about turning off both supplies and ensuring that all capacitors had discharged before doing anything. Of course that preyed on my mind. Could it have been better written and avoided what very easily have been a fatality? Was I to blame? That would haunt you - It does me to this day and the incident was about twenty years ago.

The second aspect is the message it gives and one that can be used in a positive way. To reinforce just how lethal electricity can be. Not just the shocking aspect but the explosive release of thermal energy.

A salutary tale for all.

The only way you can stop some people is by puttinf interlocks incto stop them getting to it without turning it off

Reply to Strange / Scary Experiences in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net