Search the forum,

Discuss sudden increase in electricity consumption in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Somebody switched the immersion heater on by mistake?

Edit: Or an unnoticed heater in an outbuilding or garage?

caus we were at a place...just the other week and the wheel was going round like chuff....

no earth & the cables on about 2/3rds of the install were as flat as a fart...

yes that is also something i had not thought about (although i should have done?) thanks i will do that first i think before exploring spinks suggesttion. thank you
yes...you do that...
i am sure there are members in here near you...

no not an immersion heater problem she does not have one - combi boiler installed

You dont need to install a additional meter,
As I said above you can get stand alone temporary power monitoring equipment.
We use it regular at work for finding odd problems.
It will monitor power, voltage, current etc every second (or few seconds over longer time frames) and give you a excel spread sheet of all the data with dates and times.
This will allow you to narrow down the problem to smaller avenues of time periods and if indeed there is any problem at all or just your meter going mad!

I take it you've switched off ALL the appliances and check that the meter isn't registering consumption?

thanks anyone in the wakefield area willing to help out a single mum

The cooker most likely culprit ....kids not getting school dinners and either cooker or microwave gets used alot more and also kettle usage will rocket up all heavy electric users.

Kids are back at school now whats the bets it reverts back to the previous values.... if not then as above get an Electrician in to see if they can identify any probable causes.

She hasn't left the immersion heater on has she?

If you don't want to call an electricial (I'd recommend that too.....) then how about an energy monitor for about £30, that will allow her to see what is being taken when and compare it to the meter. Easy enough then to turn things off to find the culprit.

EDIT: maybe I need to type faster.... ;)

Reply to sudden increase in electricity consumption in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net