Discuss Supplementry Bonding not connected. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
In my bathroom there is supplementary bonding of the bath, bath pipework, and basin pipework before it goes into trunking and exits unconnected in the shower unit (see photo). This I believe has never been touched since the property was built in 2001. There is no bonding on the bathroom rad.

The CU (recently updated) is now a split load with a 63A 30mA RCD feeding shower, sockets, garage, and cooker. The lights, water heater and smoke alarms are each on individual RCBOs. I understand any supplementary bonding is now a moot point due to the RCDs and RCBO’s.

However, back in 2001 I’m assuming this was not wired to spec?
Bonding.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to 16th edition, there........and goodness knows what trouble that would cause these days.
The updated CU should be to18th.

Ah the good old days... running 4mm G/Y all over the place in some scabby council house bathroom, everyone had a different idea what you were meant to be achieving resulting in some interestingly clamp adorned bathrooms and far too many cables pushed into tiny earth terminals..

Ah, the way it was.

You know, they still sell those annoying radiator clamps that grip the seam with an Allan stud, pierce the paintwork and introduce the most likely part to rust?

That was an oversite by the electrician during building…. Simply forgot to connect it.

Like you say, it’s a moot point now when everything is rcd protected.

Well RCDs are fitted, whether they are "protecting" depends on them working! I do wonder how often the self-test buttons are used in most cases?

I'm thinking of keeping the supplementary bonding for a belt and braces approach in case of a failed RCD. As I'm removing the electric shower, I'll attempt to pull through some 6mm CPC when I extract the 6mm T&E that comes down from the ceiling into the shower. The main bonding from the CU to the under sink pipes is present (MDPE from water meter), however there is nothing on the oil fired central heating supply or on any of the rads. A bit strange considering the neatness the sparky made of the first fix, the layout of the T&E in the loft is a work of art.

The chances of any problem without the RCD are minimal, including it extremely negligible......with the supplementary, on a kin to Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs...........anything is possible!!!

Reply to Supplementry Bonding not connected. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net