Discuss Surface mounted wiring into recessed box for boiler? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
image-jpg.39014
We are now 18 weeks into a six week project. There are so many things that just seem a bit botched. I'd be grateful for any advice - is this usual, legal, acceptable?

1. The electrician suggested a grid pattern for down lighters but now that the plastering is done the lights are very off centre. They tell me they can't make them central because there is a joist in the way. I know this is so but shouldn't they have considered this before suggesting this lighting pattern or moved the joist when building?

2. The wiring to my new boiler is surface mounted . The trunking is crooked and does not go all the way up to the ceiling. It also goes across for 10 cm across the worktop wall (also crooked) where I want to tile! Surely this is just a bodge? They built the wall and plastered it - surely they could have chased the cabling in?

Karen Regan, Today at 6:52 AMReport

Yes it's a bodge...the electrician (if you can him that) could of used a skeleton box so the trunking butted up to it. With the down lights he should of come up with a pattern that avoided joists by choosing different spacings, amount of lights etc. It looks like a rough old job.

image-jpg.39014
We are now 18 weeks into a six week project. There are so many things that just seem a bit botched. I'd be grateful for any advice - is this usual, legal, acceptable?

1. The electrician suggested a grid pattern for down lighters but now that the plastering is done the lights are very off centre. They tell me they can't make them central because there is a joist in the way. I know this is so but shouldn't they have considered this before suggesting this lighting pattern or moved the joist when building?

2. The wiring to my new boiler is surface mounted . The trunking is crooked and does not go all the way up to the ceiling. It also goes across for 10 cm across the worktop wall (also crooked) where I want to tile! Surely this is just a bodge? They built the wall and plastered it - surely they could have chased the cabling in?

Karen Regan, Today at 6:52 AMReport

From what I can see, that is an abortion of a job, was the Muppet that did that an Electrician, or a boiler bloke, either way a carp job. An awful job all round, has he been paid, any certificate for the work, if that's what it's called?

I think you should address your concerns in writing to the main contractor.

As for downlight positions, they are nearly always a compromise, but I'm a little surprised the guys doing this didn't discuss this with you at the time

I can't see bugger all but you can't start moving joists to accommodate down-lights, didn't they point this out at the first fix stage? Positioning down-lights can be a fine art, it looks to me from the thumbnail that it would have been obvious there is a joist smack in the middle of those two skylights. Looks bloody awful.

Well - I spoke to the project manager who said that surface mounting was acceptable and I tried to explain that it looked sh*t. He then shouted at me so I rang his boss and asked him to take a look. They have now channelled the main wire in but there's still the wire going back to the boiler which appears to be left hanging. The boiler tripped out all the sockets yesterday.
What should I say next? It's in my utility room so not critical that it looks brill but I did want to tile that wall.

As for the downlighter - can't move them - any suggestions to make it look less crap?
Yes it's a bodge...the electrician (if you can him that) could of used a skeleton box so the trunking butted up to it. With the down lights he should of come up with a pattern that avoided joists by choosing different spacings, amount of lights etc. It looks like a rough old job.

Thanks for your help - I keep being told that I'm super fussy. I was told that if I was fussy about where the lights went I should have paid more for the M&E drawings! His company "service" included all plans and drawings. How should I respond without slapping him?

Well - I spoke to the project manager who said that surface mounting was acceptable and I tried to explain that it looked sh*t. He then shouted at me so I rang his boss and asked him to take a look. They have now channelled the main wire in but there's still the wire going back to the boiler which appears to be left hanging. The boiler tripped out all the sockets yesterday.
What should I say next? It's in my utility room so not critical that it looks brill but I did want to tile that wall.

As for the downlighter - can't move them - any suggestions to make it look less crap?

Thanks for your help - I keep being told that I'm super fussy. I was told that if I was fussy about where the lights went I should have paid more for the M&E drawings! His company "service" included all plans and drawings. How should I respond without slapping him?
Karen, for my 5 pennysworth, I would engage an Electrician to come and take a look at this work that you are complaining about, it may cost you a call out fee, but in the end you eill get an independent assessment.
Was the company that did this work allied to any of the CP Schemes, NICEIC, NAPIT there are a few more. If they are, then it may be worth contacting them as a disgruntled customer, failing that Trading Standards would be a good move if you get no help from any other route, especially as the Project Manager was being a bit of a pr-t over the phone,
Was there any paperwork in the form of an Electricail installation certificate left with you on completion, if not then that is another failure on their part, if you're not satisfied, and from your description, you have every right to be peeved then take it all the way, about time these scumbags were brought down a peg or two, sory for the rant.
The trouble w

Further to Pete's reply these C.P. Schemes are only a way of obtaining compliance with building regulations Part P They will not get involved with financial disputes or as you are describing here a poor job visually if the regulations are complied with.

Karen, for my 5 pennysworth, I would engage an Electrician to come and take a look at this work that you are complaining about, it may cost you a call out fee, but in the end you eill get an independent assessment.
Was the company that did this work allied to any of the CP Schemes, NICEIC, NAPIT there are a few more. If they are, then it may be worth contacting them as a disgruntled customer, failing that Trading Standards would be a good move if you get no help from any other route, especially as the Project Manager was being a bit of a pr-t over the phone,
Was there any paperwork in the form of an Electricail installation certificate left with you on completion, if not then that is another failure on their part, if you're not satisfied, and from your description, you have every right to be peeved then take it all the way, about time these scumbags were brought down a peg or two, sory for the rant.
The trouble w
Further to Pete's reply these C.P. Schemes are only a way of obtaining compliance with building regulations Part P They will not get involved with financial disputes or as you are describing here a poor job visually if the regulations are complied with.
The OP hasn't replied yet regarding the whereabouts of any certifications, lack of is in itself a deviation fro BS7671, so if a certificate hasn't been produced, the the CPS if the company was registered they should be investigated by whichever CPS they are registered with, don't you think? I would be willing to take a look, but far to far to travel.

The trouble w

The build isn't finished yet so no certificates and we have only paid half. Trouble is i'm not sure what it should look like. Wondering if anyone on this forum could post a picture of a boiler fused thingy so that I can compare! Is it supposed to have a loose wire going back to the boiler?

Unfortunately I can't see the photo's only going on what the OP has described /commented on as downlights off centre and trunking etc.

The OP hasn't replied yet regarding the whereabouts of any certifications, lack of is in itself a deviation fro BS7671, so if a certificate hasn't been produced, the the CPS if the company was registered they should be investigated by whichever CPS they are registered with, don't you think? I would be willing to take a look, but far to far to travel.

Thanks for your advice.

Reply to Surface mounted wiring into recessed box for boiler? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net