Discuss Swa cable for garden lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gerry9870

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

Could anyone advise...

I have a weatherproof exterior box with an RCD socket inside.

My garden is gully chipped and stoned.

I was hoping to put up 2 post lights and run from a plug in to the RCD socket without having it classed as an installation.

My question is, the 2 lights are 60w. Could i run 1.5m SWA cable to them from the RCD via a 13a plug. And could the SWA cable be daisy chained from one light to the other.

The run is about 20mtrs in total.

Many thanks

Gerry

Hi

Could anyone advise...

I have a weatherproof exterior box with an RCD socket inside.

My garden is gully chipped and stoned.

I was hoping to put up 2 post lights and run from a plug in to the RCD socket without having it classed as an installation.

My question is, the 2 lights are 60w. Could i run 1.5m SWA cable to them from the RCD via a 13a plug. And could the SWA cable be daisy chained from one light to the other.

The run is about 20mtrs in total.

Many thanks

Gerry

Don't feed SWA from a 13A plug. It needs the armour correctly terminating with a suitable gland.

Hi - my understanding is the socket is the end of the fixed installation wiring.

I wouldn’t attempt to terminate SWA into a plug as it’s an accident waiting to happen. I would probably use some of this cable instead. Keep in mind that if the end of the fixed wiring is that socket, then cable & lights are by definition temporary, in my opinion :).

Hi - my understanding is the socket is the end of the fixed installation wiring.

I wouldn’t attempt to terminate SWA into a plug as it’s an accident waiting to happen. I would probably use some of this cable instead. Keep in mind that if the end of the fixed wiring is that socket, then cable & lights are by definition temporary, in my opinion :).

Yes its at the end.

Was only thinking swa due to requiring to be buried. Thought of T&E through conduit via the plug set up

me i would get a spark that knows what he is doing in the termination of the swa and socket /plug .

Your right. Prob is no one will come out.
.and my elderley father has fallen twice on the icy path.

I have an idea what to do, its just what is the best way and if it can be done.

T&E via conduit under the stones, would this work better

I would not have t+e in conduit under the stones. Neither would I ever contemplate connecting swa to a plug top. Just to let you know, twin and earth is not suitable to connect to a plug either. There are much better ways to do this, if your not sure what they are, consult a competent electrician.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP , if you genuinely can't get an electrician to come out use 1.5mm 3 core H07 flex as previously suggested and protect it in plastic conduit or ducting where it runs underground. This flex is ideal for fitting the plug top to and should be easy to terminate in the lights. I'd fit a 3 or 5amp fuse in the plug too.

To the OP , if you genuinely can't get an electrician to come out use 1.5mm 3 core H07 flex as previously suggested and protect it in plastic conduit or ducting where it runs underground. This flex is ideal for fitting the plug top to and should be easy to terminate in the lights. I'd fit a 3 or 5amp fuse in the plug too
To OP, I think from your answers, you are probably going to go ahead and do it anyhow so as a diy project the above is the better option. But seriously I would advise on getting an electrician to come and give you a quote and get the work done safely

As above, SWA has to be properly terminated with a gland to earth the armour. From then you can use flexible cable to a 13A plug if you need to. Do not use T&E for this as it is not "flexible" and after a modest about of bending you risk breaking the conductors, it is intended for fixed wiring.

Far simpler is to use H07RN-F cable as suggested above. It is like normal flex but UV rated and tougher, but you need to protect it from any mechanical damage. So use duct if going underground, or pin it above ground along any fence, etc, out of the way of gardening activity.

Note you need RCD protection on the supply to this cable, but it seems you have an RCD socket inside? It has to be before the cable goes outside.

Reply to Swa cable for garden lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net