Discuss SWA cables - fly leading armour as cpc?? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

In the past where it was required to several cables I fitted a copper bar across the lot, down the side of the board to the earth bolt and a link to the earth bar.

i always take 3/4 strands of steel into the cpc connection aswell, what if the gland gets loosened off and some doughnut doesnt put it back on correctly?

How are you doing that and following manufacturers instructions in using the glands?

Also i'm reading that as 3 to 4 stands rather than 3 quarters. In which case, will do nothing anyway.

Aside from this, have you ever seen a properly terminated SWA gland just loosen on it's own?

If I saw this practice on one of my jobs I'm afraid I would insist on having it remade.

i always take 3/4 strands of steel into the cpc connection aswell, what if the gland gets loosened off and some doughnut doesnt put it back on correctly?
How do you manage to do that elsparko? just curious

easy, just dont cut through 3/4 of the strands of steel, bring them in through the gland, rest glanded as normal, i was taught to do this by a guy who done mainly industrial, i said if someone loosened it off and removed it , then reglanded it without the steel strands it would at least still have some connection to earth.

i should add that it still has a frying pan and flying lead, aswell as the 3 or 4 strands, and a dedicated cpc.

worst case scenario i still want there to be some earthing to the steel wire

How are you doing that and following manufacturers instructions in using the glands?

Also i'm reading that as 3 to 4 stands rather than 3 quarters. In which case, will do nothing anyway.

Aside from this, have you ever seen a properly terminated SWA gland just loosen on it's own?

If I saw this practice on one of my jobs I'm afraid I would insist on having it remade.
Yes agree Bob, with respect "elsparko" not really something I would ever do. Don't think that would comply with the Regulations. On a par with snipping a few strands from a conductor to get in into the terminal. IMO.

Last edited:
It's a poor way of doing it an unfortunately as you've now no longer got evenly applied pressure all the way round the gland seat, it's actually more likely to come loose with vibration.

It would compromise the IP rating of certain glands also.

Yes agree Bob, with respect "elsparko" not really something I would ever do. Don't think that would comply with the Regulations.

just what i was taught to do, if its not right id rather be corrected than carry on doing it wrong, which regulation out of interest?, do you guys just gland the steel, frying pan either side of fitting, then drill through, bolt the 2 frying pans together, then flying lead from inner frying pan?

i do all the above, just taking in a few strands also, my first boss was insisted on these strands being taken into the cpc, incase someone removed the entire gland then put it back in just hanging there, there would still at least be some protection on the steel wire

we worked mainly on farms, so maybe industrial was the wrong word to use, but same kit, seen plenty of farmers have a go at reglanding and it just sits there hanging by the connections, gland about 3 inches from unit

but as i said if taking these 3 or 4 strands is wrong id rather not be wasting my time with it either lol

It's a poor way of doing it an unfortunately as you've now no longer got evenly applied pressure all the way round the gland seat, it's actually more likely to come loose with vibration.

It would compromise the IP rating of certain glands also.
i dont do this on outside glands for this very reason, but standard glands its always been a force of habit, monkey see monkey do

Sounds about right for a farm.

No you shouldn't be doing it, the glands aren't designed that way. As for a reg, I can't remember the number but it's something along the line of "suitable electrical and mechanical termination"

Sounds about right for a farm.

No you shouldn't be doing it, the glands aren't designed that way. As for a reg, I can't remember the number but it's something along the line of "suitable electrical and mechanical termination"
Agree with Bob again, you have been taught the cowboy way I'm afraid, I would use PIRANHA locknuts as the locking ring for the gland an take a cpc from the connection on that locknut, beats having banjos or frying pans as you refer to them littering up the enclosure a far better and neater way of doing the job IMO.

@elsparko

I would stop this practice asap, regardless of who taught you this or what field of electrics they worked in, this is poor to bad practice, I would also question the quality of their working practices given they felt this was an acceptable method.
The glands are manufactured to certain tolerances and the SWA has to also be to similar tolerances so that the glands are more or less universal to the given size on their packets thus will fit what it says.

The glands rely on a full use of the strands to maintain an even grip all round, taking a number of strands away and routing them direct to the earth will give a poorer glanding termination and the remaining steel strands you have secured will not satisfy the reg's, under fault conditions the gland or strands brought through could fail and/or see damage done to the cable.

Your R1 + R2 tests and ELI do not show all issues and when 1000+ amps flow under fault conditions your gland needs to be good and solid thus should be fitted as per manufacturers instruction as the regs require you do.

If you secure and tighten your gland correctly it should not come loose, if due to environmental conditions you suspect the glands could loosen then serrated washes should be fitted, there is also the case that the installation requires regular inspection and this should pull up on any glanding issues.

In my experience of 30+ years I have never seen a gland come loose that was fitted correctly and suitably done to account for environmental conditions so I do not see this practice serves any purpose, the only glands I find loose etc are down to poor termination practices of which I would put your method as one.

Last edited:
well i stand to be corrected and glad to have it pointed out, at the macallans site we used a really thick brass locknut that had screws on the side for terminating crimps to, nobody was bothered about me taking a few strands into the earth terminal aswell though

my first boss we only used what came in the gland pack

i was
@elsparko

I would stop this practice asap, regardless of who taught you this or what field of electrics they worked in, this is poor to bad practice, I would also question the quality of their working practices given they felt this was an acceptable method.
The glands are manufactured to certain tolerances and the SWA has to also be to similar tolerances so that the glands are more or less universal to the given size on their packets thus will fit what it says.

The glands rely on a full use of the strands to maintain an even grip all round, taking a number of strands away and routing them direct to the earth will give a poorer glanding termination and the remaining steel strands you have secured will not satisfy the reg's, under fault conditions the gland or strands brought through could fail and/or see damage done to the cable.

Your R1 + R2 tests and ELI do not show all issues and when 1000+ amps flow under fault conditions your gland should be fitted as per manufacturers instruction as the regs require you do.

If you secure and tighten your gland correctly it should not come loose, if due to environmental conditions you suspect the glands could loosen then serrated washes should be fitted, there is also the case that the installation requires regular inspection and this should pull up on any glanding issues.

In my experience of 30+ years I have never seen a gland come loose that was fitted correctly and suitably done to account for environmental conditions so I do not see this practice serves any purpose, the only glands I find loose etc are down to poor termination practices of which I would put your method as one.

i wont be continuing doing it if its incorrect lol, and i never meant that the gland would just come loose, i mean that if some farmer did take it off and couldnt get it back on

i always checked my glands after fitting and none were ever loose, i feel like ive just been making any glanding ive done a harder job than it needs to be though

i dont do much industrial so thankfully not much will be affected, not sure about my old boss though! lol

well i stand to be corrected and glad to have it pointed out, at the macallans site we used a really thick brass locknut that had screws on the side for terminating crimps to, nobody was bothered about me taking a few strands into the earth terminal aswell though

my first boss we only used what came in the gland pack
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...x-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=WNl5WrSMNamn8weSkoGIAQ
Here you go PIRANHNA nuts just the ticket for SWA why the gland makers don't utilise them in their gland packs I don't know

i should add that it still has a frying pan and flying lead, aswell as the 3 or 4 strands, and a dedicated cpc.

worst case scenario i still want there to be some earthing to the steel wire

You’re giving yourself a false sense of security there, the 3/4 strands will not add up to a suitable CSA to handle the fault current of the circuit. So if your scenario of a loose gland occurs then those few strands will show a suitable continuity reading on testing and go undetected, but under fault conditions will overheat and likely fail before the mcb/fuse operates.
This obviously leaves the armour and whatever else is connected to it live and very dangerous.

Reply to SWA cables - fly leading armour as cpc?? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net