Discuss SWA cables - fly leading armour as cpc?? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

The company who make piranha nuts do supply gland packs with them in.

Obviously other companies don’t supply their competitors product in their own gland packs, nor can they easily make a copy due to copyright and patents laws.
Thanks Dave you live and learn.

i was

i wont be continuing doing it if its incorrect lol, and i never meant that the gland would just come loose, i mean that if some farmer did take it off and couldnt get it back on

i always checked my glands after fitting and none were ever loose, i feel like ive just been making any glanding ive done a harder job than it needs to be though

i dont do much industrial so thankfully not much will be affected, not sure about my old boss though! lol

I don’t understand what difference it would make, surely if said farmer is taking the gland/cable out then he would take the strands out of the earth bar as well, he then surely won’t go to the hassle off putting them back in if he can’t even put the gland back on correctly?!?!

I don’t understand what difference it would make, surely if said farmer is taking the gland/cable out then he would take the strands out of the earth bar as well, he then surely won’t go to the hassle off putting them back in if he can’t even put the gland back on correctly?!?!
its been too common on farms to find glands that are just hanging loose, but i digress, i do not know how farmers minds work

What I hate seeing is the tails being held on by some chewed up w ankey roofing bolt.

6mm brass sets are not expensive!
I was or I should say my company I work for was charged £247 for 100 brass M6 25mm bolts , washers and nuts.
CEF as we don’t use them that much they charged that price!!

I was or I should say my company I work for was charged £247 for 100 brass M6 25mm bolts , washers and nuts.
CEF as we don’t use them that much they charged that price!!
Well they got well and truly stuffed by CEF didn't they?

Na as soon as I saw the price on the invoice sheet I refused to sign it and declined their goods.
Quite rite..CEF have a nasty habit of charging different prices to different people,You really need to price every item first with the c*nts.Brass stuff can be quite a bit dearer but I just seen 100 there now on ebay for £36 plus delivery..so 50p a gland...

Quite rite..CEF have a nasty habit of charging different prices to different people,You really need to price every item first with the c*nts.Brass stuff can be quite a bit dearer but I just seen 100 there now on ebay for £36 plus delivery..so 50p a gland...
Less if you link 4 glands to the one bolt.

Just thought I should add for clarity, "You must always use a flying lead when using Piranha nut" Irrespective if it is a solid metal box or separate lid with self tappers, it makes no difference in manufacturers eyes.

Yes because the contact area to the metal box is tiny if the teeth of the nut are placed against it, far too small to handle fault current.

Yes because the contact area to the metal box is tiny if the teeth of the nut are placed against it, far too small to handle fault current.
Do Piranha nuts have a serrated face? The ones I have used are just a nut with a locking hex screw to ensure good contact and a terminal for the fly lead, or is there something different that I haven't seen, be good to know if there is Dave.

Do Piranha nuts have a serrated face? The ones I have used are just a nut with a locking hex screw to ensure good contact and a terminal for the fly lead, or is there something different that I haven't seen, be good to know if there is Dave.

Yes piranha nuts have four small spikes on the back of them, this cuts in to the enclosure wall and allows single handed tightening of the gland into them. This is what the tag-line of ‘they bite’ refers to on the front of the packet.

Reply to SWA cables - fly leading armour as cpc?? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net