Discuss Swa in a channel/chase. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m putting a new DB in the in-laws cabin. It will be supplied from the garage DB (which was installed with the extra provision for the cabin).
Father in law doesn’t want the supply cable (SWA) in the air or on the ground. My solution was to run the SWA in galv conduit in a chase in the concrete slab that the cabin sits on, the gap from garage to cabin is only about 6-800mm, so burying cable to 600mm doesn’t seem practical.
The conduit would help with extra mechanical protection as he’s likely to walk between garage and cabin to store wood (hence not wanting the cable in the air), and cutting a channel means that the surface is flush/less of a trip hazard.
Is this acceptable? I won’t be filling over the conduit so it will remain on the surface, unburied and visible.
Cheers

If you are worried about dirt / occasional grit , just use kopex plastic tube

you really don’t need to put galv in the ground

I’m putting a new DB in the in-laws cabin. It will be supplied from the garage DB (which was installed with the extra provision for the cabin).
Father in law doesn’t want the supply cable (SWA) in the air or on the ground. My solution was to run the SWA in galv conduit in a chase in the concrete slab that the cabin sits on, the gap from garage to cabin is only about 6-800mm, so burying cable to 600mm doesn’t seem practical.
The conduit would help with extra mechanical protection as he’s likely to walk between garage and cabin to store wood (hence not wanting the cable in the air), and cutting a channel means that the surface is flush/less of a trip hazard.
Is this acceptable? I won’t be filling over the conduit so it will remain on the surface, unburied and visible.
Cheers
Why Conduit ? no need for it

Cheers for the replies, as long as I won’t cause issues by laying the cable in a chased out groove I’ll go for that.
you'll still get grit trodden onto it. best in just a bit of 1¼ plastic waste pipe.

Reply to Swa in a channel/chase. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net