Discuss SWA inner sheath unstrippable! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

Bit of a rant - Had to gland off 7 x 25mm 4 core SWAs today - all of which required about 4m of the cores exposed. Turned out to be the worst stuff i've ever worked with - the white inner insulation would just not rip off - tried absolutely everything - in the end had to meticulously pick gently with a fresh stanley - took me most of the day - what a nightmare!

there are easier brands and pain in the butt brands out there... we've all been there many times but also if the cable is cold it can stiffen up the sheaths thus making them harder to terminate, if poss store in a warm place before installing it will take a good 24hrs from cold to conduct the heat to the cold center sheaths, best to learn the brands which are easier, they may cost more but you save on install time.

was an absolute nightmare - got another few to make off tomorrow - not looking forward to it - i suppose the temperature didnt help -4 today!

I feel for you as well. Play hell with the wholesaler who supplied it is the best you can do.

Im gonna have fun tomoz morning at 7am doing 35mm 4core and temp expect to drop between -10 and -15, not sure what will be harder stripping the cable or moving my fingers :O

Stripped 4m of 16mm 4 c last friday. Found the best way was a very shallow groove, very carefully, with a stanley and pushing apart with both thumbs. My thumbs felt like I'd used the knife on THEM.:thumbs_down:

gotta a feeling its the old stanley groove method - prying out the cores for about 4" then innersheath under foot method while tugging the cores ..... .find this best way until inner sheath snaps (arse over ---) or slips from under foot and you stab your face with a four-cores :evil: oh the joys!!!!!

I dont envy you fellas! i worked on a power station in 2009 & 2010, and all of their cable was crap. Everything was free issue from Alstom, and i doubt very much it was BASEC approved. It took forever to make the ends off, as even the outer sheathwas a nightmare to remove. Everything was round cores too, even the large stuff. My last day working on the process side of the job (i returned to the same job for a different firm to do small power and lighting) involved me and another sopark making a 5 core 50mm off. It took us most of the morning, to do a job that should take half hour max

Reply to SWA inner sheath unstrippable! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net