Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss SWA outer armour not earthed at either end. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Fitzy

Fitzy Newly Qualified Sparky Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    DF Electrical Services
    A friend at work asked me to take a look at the electrics in his shed, RCD would occasionally trip out, turned out to be a very loose neutral going in to the RCD.

One thing I did notice though was that the 10MM2 SWA entered through the back entry point of both the shed & house CU and neither end of the outer sheath was connected to the earth bar and was also very loosely pushed through at the shed end directly from outside of the shed. I thought that the outer armour of the SWA cable had to be earthed at at least one end, if not both? Am I right here?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  2. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

Yes, it should be earthed, preferably at the supply end.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Fitzy

Business Name:
    DF Electrical Services
    So one end is ok then?

I was thinking of adding the brass gland to the supply end, then run an earth fly lead to the cu early bar, is this ok?

Plus, is ok to use the back entry for swa cable, or should it always be glanced at both ends?

4. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Is there a core being used as the cpc inside the SWA?
    The armour should be earthed at supply end at least.

10mm? What the heck has he got inside the shed?
    or is that, what the heck is he growing inside the shed?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear please let me back in to the prison cell. Electrician's Arms

what do you think ,me. Earth both ends and till their is a earthling on the end of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Risteard

Risteard Respected Member

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Really both ends should be earthed generally. Supply end only is not good practice without good reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

If you need to isolate the earth, you can get special glands, or if it’s a plastic CU in the shed, just don’t use a banjo and fly lead.

8. Loki

Loki Trainee Access

I’m suspecting they’re using a core back for earth. From what I remember tncs required either a 10mm earth or a tt spike near the shed.

9. Fitzy

Business Name:
    DF Electrical Services
    Yes, the black core has been used as the earth, the house’s supply is TN-S and the SWA run is roughly 30m in total. One light circuit and 2 socket radials in the shed.

Is it ok to go directly in through the back of the db, directly from outside? There’s been no mastic used to fill the rear entry hole either. I would’ve clipped the swa to the inside wall of the shed, then in to the db.

10. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Yes glands should be used for proper termination. It's part of the cable system. You wouldn't use MI without a gland .......

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baddegg

Baddegg Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x Electrician's Arms

I would terminate into a wiska/adaptable box fitz and then from that to the Cu in t&e

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fitzy

Business Name:
    DF Electrical Services
    I did suggest re-routing the swa to the inside wall, then glanded in to the shed db, luckily there’s enough slack in the swa to still reach the db from inside, then i’ll fill the hole in shed wall.

It was only done last summer by an electrician friend of a friend.

13. derek

derek Regular EF Member

Ees not an electrician, ees a very nawty boy! (said in a voice similar to Brian's mum from Life of Brian)

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1