Discuss switch and socket height in new build commercial shop/workshop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is there a minimum/maximum height of switches and sockets in a non domesic building?
Im building myself a commercial unit with public shop area and need to know if the same rules apply as with domestic?

Also is it correect to mount break glass call points at 140cm from ground level?

I'm wiring it myself, I don't have the budget for a contractor, it's not a job I'm incapable of, just need to know the answer to my question.

Job on the cheap then is it?? my advice would be get o copy of the building regs or local authority regs and check for yourself

Last edited:
I'm wiring it myself, I don't have the budget for a contractor, it's not a job I'm incapable of, just need to know the answer to my question.

That's not for you to decide. Can you satisfy the forum you are competent to be carrying out the work, and have the competence, experience, and equipment to perform full initial verification and certification of this install before you demand any more information ?

That's not for you to decide. Can you satisfy the forum you are competent to be carrying out the work, and have the competence, experience, and equipment to perform full initial verification and certification of this install before you demand any more information ?

Well said Andy was going to say something similar couldn't put it as politely as you did and thought better keep my gob shut, don't want to upset anyone.

Manfred with the greatest of respect Are you a Qualified Electrician and are you competent to do the job, Whenever someone comes on the forum and asks basic questions then Alarm bells start to ring, Your profile is completely blank so maybe filling in the details might give us all something to go on, I will await a reply before any advice is handed out.

Following staff discussions I'm closing the thread based on concerns about the lack of knowledge to basic questions and also with a fire alarm install mentioned in the op I am not happy for the thread to continue.

Last edited:

Reply to switch and socket height in new build commercial shop/workshop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net