Discuss Switch work only at night in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Javieren

DIY
Reaction score
Hello. I don’t know who else to ask, I’m not electrician
I have a room heater wired to two electricity wall switches to work. As this
image.jpg
The above is One of the two switches and turns on and off without problems
But the second one seems to only turn on around midnight, look how it is now, very off compared to its mate
image.jpg

this is awful and it’s getting me crazy. I’m freezing all day because one of the switch is arranged somehow bad
Please help!

I believe the one that only works at night is connected to an off peak supply, possibly 11pm to 7am.
The heater will be a storage heater (with bricks that are heated at night) with maybe a convector on top that works all the time.

Post a photo of the heater in question, and the fuseboard(s)... We will be able to advise further.

Hi, littlespark! Here is the photo: the switch at the left can be turned on at any time of the day. The right one is the badest
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-06 at 21.15.32.jpeg

I'm not sure if it's really a heater problem because I have the same one in my room and both switches work all day. I use the room heater at any moment without problems

Thanks for the help

Hi, littlespark! Here is the photo: the switch at the left can be turned on at any time of the day. The right one is the badest
View attachment 63558
I'm not sure if it's really a heater problem because I have the same one in my room and both switches work all day. I use the room heater at any moment without problems

Thanks for the help

As has been said above, it’s a storage heater on a cheaper tariff that comes on at night. Nothing to worry about.

Here the board
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-06 at 21.27.59.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-06 at 21.27.58.jpeg

I believe the one that only works at night is connected to an off peak supply, possibly 11pm to 7am.
The heater will be a storage heater (with bricks that are heated at night) with maybe a convector on top that works all the time.

Post a photo of the heater in question, and the fuseboard(s)... We will be able to advise further.

You need to leave the storage heater switched ON overnight for it to charge with heat. If you just leave it switched off at night, the heater will forever be cold!

Some storage heaters also have a boost function that work off the 24hr supply. Possibly the one not working also has this function, but is broken. It still doesn't alter the fact that you heat the bricks inside up at NIGHT for heat output during the DAY.

Some storage heaters also have a boost function that work off the 24hr supply. Possibly the one not working also has this function, but is broken. It still doesn't alter the fact that you heat the bricks inside up at NIGHT for heat output during the DAY.
It is the electrical switch which turns on at random night. Not the heater
It has two switches connected to main power, one of those doesn't work all day. I have the same heater in the room and it works properly at any time. And don't heat bricks, it throws hot air.

The switch is not turning on at random, the off-peak supply is enabled during the off peak hours at night. Designed for storage heaters.

Some storage heaters also have a separate boost function, that work of the daytime supply. You pay about 2 or 3x the price for these 24hr electricity units. As I mentioned above, perhaps the boost function is broken on the cold heater, and nothing to do with a switch that has an off-peak supply.

Suggest you look up how storage heaters work, or if you are renting, get the landlord or agent to explain.

You need to leave the storage heater switched ON overnight for it to charge with heat. If you just leave it switched off at night, the heater will forever be cold!
I do that but its not enough
The switch is not turning on at random, the off-peak supply is enabled during the off peak hours at night. Designed for storage heaters.

Some storage heaters also have a separate boost function, that work of the daytime supply. You pay about 2 or 3x the price for these 24hr electricity units. As I mentioned above, perhaps the boost function is broken on the cold heater, and nothing to do with a switch that has an off-peak supply.

Suggest you look up how storage heaters work, or if you are renting, get the landlord or agent to explain.
Ok, but I'm still confused, why I have another heater that is exactly the same one but their switches can be turned on at any time? Is it the switch connected to off-peak? Can I change that to use the lounge heater in the same way as use the room heater (which works all day)?

Is this a rental property? If so, please ask the agent/landlord to check the heater that appears faulty if it has a boost function, which appears not to be working. If not a rental property, perhaps engage an electrician yourself to check same heater.

Both the switches for each heater need to be left in the ON position all the time, whether or not the red indicator is On.
The control on the top of the heater also needs setting up correctly so that at night the heater charges up the bricks correctly and in the day the heat is released throughout the day.

Is this a rental property? If so, please ask the agent/landlord to check the heater that appears faulty if it has a boost function, which appears not to be working. If not a rental property, perhaps engage an electrician yourself to check same heater.
Ill do that, thanks

Reply to Switch work only at night in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net