Discuss Telephone slave extension help needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ronbrown

Hi all. I'm currently trying to add a socket in an upstairs room from the master socket. At the master socket there is a 4 core cable where Orange goes to A and White goes to B and green and orange are cut back. At the slave there are 6 junctions with a 4 core cable with orange, white, blue and green. I've tried every possible connection of the colours in junction 2-5 but nothing works. On a couple of them the phone will ring continuously but none have the dial tone. Any help would be much appreciated

for a slave you need terminals 2,5 and 3 only, 3 is the ringer, usual colours are blue/white to 2, white/blue to 5 and orange/white to 3.

3 is no longer needed only 2 and 5, if you get a constant ringing when the phone is plugged in the socket then you have reversed 2 and 5, just swap them back over and it should be ok.

this is the situation at the master.
And this is the situation at the slave. I did what was suggested and the phone just continously rang again but with no dial tone. 416802_10152239881350103_244434755_n.jpg14273_10152239892820103_260206804_n.jpg

image 1 has blue white and red !, never seen that before
On image number 2 leave the a and b as is and then connect your extension cables to 2,3 and 5,

ive tried taking out 3 and it still didnt work. I forgot to mention that the cable at the slave is from an extension lead coming from the master. I have cut this hoping to put it in the new socket rather than having the extension laying around, would this change what needs to be done?22327_10152240239610103_215605301_n.jpg46521_10152240238750103_1875014875_n.jpg

Wow you seem to have a lot of extensions there. I am afraid the way you have done it is not going to work. If you are going to run a slave socket from a master the connections have to be done at the back of the sockets in the previously mentioned terminals 2 & 5. Also the extension cable you have used I image is stranded rather than solid core which is not ideal for punch down terminals. Hope this helps.

The push terminals are for standard bt cable, possible they are not breaking into the flex cable, try stripping cable and place in terminals to prove..worth a try.

You need to connect to the highlighted terminals14273_10152239892820103_260206804_n HL.jpg
as said previously only 2 & 5 are needed connecting 3 can cause poor broadband speed due to interference
When punching cables down onto these terminals use a proper krone tool using a screwdriver damages the terminals and yes I have found sockets wrecked by people using screwdrivers

Constant ringing is caused by connecting 2 or 5 into the 3 on one or more of the outlets. Start at the incoming line, find a and b, put them into 2 and 5, use them throughout. Only old gear needs 3, and new gear is often not polarity sensitive. Just keep it the same throughout, if the polarity is a problem, you just have to swap them at the master.

Reply to Telephone slave extension help needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net