Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I wire one leg of the rfc cpc to the backbox then the flylead from the backbox and the other leg to the socket, all individually sleeved of course. Just makes an easier termination IMHO.

Each to their own but I see that as incredibly bad practice.
Ok..... I'm glad this post had gotten some attention. What I always do, which I see as the failsafe option. Is to wire the ring cpcs into the socket together, then a single out to the box. It's good to know that these posts are getting read and are being paid attention to.

Here are some DIY faults which I found recently when I fitted a new kitchen. SAM_4019.JPGSAM_4174.JPGSAM_4185.JPG
1)Yes one of the water pipe was leaking, onto the spur from a spur from yet another spur.
2)JB behind the oven with 240v going in with T+E 1.0mm, 240v going out via flex, to each under unit light with built in Transformer.
3)Spur to a FCU using 2.5mm T+E from a 40 amp cooker circuit wired in 6mm T+E
The kitchen has been totally ripped out and renewed.

it still works, not a fault. just something missing :(
still no reply from the client, possibly will be left like that for unspecified amount of timefusebox.jpg

it still works, not a fault. just something missing :(
still no reply from the client, possibly will be left like that for unspecified amount of timeView attachment 14228

What's frightening about situations like this, is that they probably paid someone in good faith to do this and because it works, they assume it's ok. Saying yes yes it's all safe now it has an rcd like it should have.

Each to their own but I see that as incredibly bad practice.
if one of the Cpc's is long enough I tend to use one to the box terminal, doubled over not cut and continue it to the socket and join it with the other Cpc so I have two at the socket. If not both to the socket with a link to the box. If that makes any sense.......

Ok..... I'm glad this post had gotten some attention. What I always do, which I see as the failsafe option. Is to wire the ring cpcs into the socket together, then a single out to the box. It's good to know that these posts are getting read and are being paid attention to.
which is of course the correct method which used to be taught at all colleges!

For 4 years i worked as a fault finder purely and found the obscure the strange the weird and the idiotic and some of the most amazing faults that you couldnt dream of in fact i could write a book on my jobbing diary as they would take up a lot in one hit ill add one or to every now and again but today the worst

The most dangerous was a test on the lighting in a office to assertain its condition it was newish building metal clad external on a industrial estate in ashford. i visually failed the lights straight away as i could see exposed wires where the heat had burnt away the sheath but then i did a formal test. so i went to the mains room and as the building was unoccupied and i had licence to do so i switched of the power. Then i took off the cover of the 3tpn consumer unit and began my test.
Now as you are all aware that you should prove the supply is off ie borrowed supplies i used my test lamps and found the power still on. but this was the first call of the mains into the building there was no other switches or remote ccu's as i wnet to search my volt stick sounded as i walked through a door way i stopped looked it was a metal frame so i went around the building with my test lamps and where i could find a cpc and any metal near each other i tested and found the grid metal walls live the stair well railings live the ceiling grid live the pipe work live and best of all all the door frames and to the metal clad sheeting all live 240 volts so i opened the cutout and removed the fuses and the building ceased to be live..
At the fuseboard i checked the switch 4 pole but then straight away i saw that a double pole block used to take a seperate feed to the fire alarm panel off L1 but the neutral was on the load side terminal bar and seeing that the supply was tn-c-s the fire alarm had been installed in such away that under disconnection the earth had become the neutral and making for a utter death trap.
was a light in a hall way that was blinking on and off under inspection found that it was a plc lamp and there was no power going to the light unless it was switched on and low and behold the lamp glowed for a sec and was off again . again tested the switching found no surge of power activating the lamp ???

ps the last paragraph is a question of a afault i found on why a light kept blinking if you think you have the answer let me know and ill will eventually enlighten you lol

Am fitting kitchen and came across the following, uploadfromtaptalk1346273226534.jpg
For those who think they have had one too many it's Hungarian, obviously !!!
uploadfromtaptalk1346273330738.jpg
Nice to see someone thinking of our precious copper resources, joining two lives to one has saved a whole inch of 2.5 !!
uploadfromtaptalk1346273465909.jpg
And why waste earth sheath???
uploadfromtaptalk1346273544864.jpg
Even after safe isolation its nice to know you can still achieve the frazzled perm look from exposed conductor, where our Hungarian comrade has slipped with the craft knife and exposed about an inch of cable, this is the feed from 100 ampain fuse
uploadfromtaptalk1346273789533.jpg
Wow, this copper saving lark is catching on, into the socket in 2.5 out to next socket in 1.5
uploadfromtaptalk1346273914300.jpguploadfromtaptalk1346273914300.jpg
Just as you think it can't get any worse..... 6 mm cooker circuit on 32 amp breaker , with.....yes 1.5 mm spur to double socket feeding boiler,
I could go on all evening with the probs on this job but even need to sleep. No main earth bonding, all earth bonding clamps below boiler on pipework is finger tight cable actually pulls out with no effort, best of all no attempt to remove ain't to get any sort of contact, allegedly checked by gas safe installer and deemed ' safe' . Treble socket in hallway backing onto kitchen has spur to five separate double sockets. Garage twenty five metres from house, has 2.5 t+e single length routed below ground in black flexible conduit feedin two sockets and various lights , will get pics tomoro ....... When I've decided where to start , oh and you will love the outside sockets
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

That should keep you off the streets for a while...

The CU labelling has made me smile... I'm guessing there's no paperwork for this abortion?

There is now.....a post it note with translations that I got the customer home from work to do !!! I will cert my work , but have already told him it all needs to be looked at. He enen has 13amp switched sockets in bathroom and wc above sinks , apparently for the wife to use hairdryer ..... They obviously work as she has lovely hair :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net