Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Who will be the first to spot the problem in this emergency light? (and its not the lack of appropriately coloured sleeving)

em-lt_zpsa819fedc.jpg

Re: Tell us about your faults !

i found one today, room stat and immersion heater db timer both went at same time, ( different circuits timer is 1 chan so only controls immersion) nothing blew rcd fine but timer and stat both dead! checked power to stat and immersion when on boost all fine. before i order expensive timer can anyone think of maybe a common cause, im out of ideas.

Yes its the earth thats missed its target. Not quite as dangerous as it first appeared, though, as the earths from both cables are running down one bit of sleeving, and have been beautifully twisted together all the way down, so at least there was earth continuity past this fitting. I never thought I'd be slightly pleased to see twisted together earths!

Wasn't that long ago, there wasn't any such thing as earth sleeving... Careful dressing of the bare earth conductors was the order of the day!! lol!!

2012-12-31 15.50.36.jpg2012-12-31 15.50.49.jpg

Found this which used to house a connection for a grill unit in a commercial kitchen, the kitchen is tight for space so the grill is on a shelf above the hot plate which is on for around 12 hours a day, used to fry and cook most things!

Not only did the box melt, the cable melted and it has started to melt the insides of the grill.

They want it repaired, but I said that unless the grill is moved, it will do the same thing again in a matter of time!

I was originally going to replace with flexi steel conduit and a steel adaptaptable box, but when I took the cover off the grill to rewire it I realised that the internals were melting and it would be a pointless task!

found this on an EICR couldnt understand why we had an earth fault

DSC_0166_zpse95fd360.jpg

it was a metal fitting, in a bathroom, and thats how it came out of the ceiling

i did a CU changel some time back, and found this

DSC00578_zps3f82d64c.jpg

but there was another shower, and found this

DSC00577_zps0add0e10.jpg

put it right F.O.C and the customer couldnt give a monkeys.

glad i test fully

also had a call out to do emergency CU change in Rugby,as old one nearly caught fire

i was greeted by this, admittedly not the best pic

DSC00603_zps9f6ddc7d.jpg

and this was inside

DSC00606_zps08cbfb0c.jpg

and last one for now, this was the the inside of a 10 way starbreaker board, id been asked to add another circuit too, when i took the cover off i put it straight back on, got the job to replace it, once id shown them how bad it was

DSC00658_zps549820a7.jpg

this was the switch below the CU, do you think it has enough cable in it

DSC00659_zps8726d8d4.jpg

just thought of another one.

went to a property to assist in a kitchen rip out and remove some socket prior to builders taking a wall out.
when i arrived wall is still up, and most of kitchen still fitted, so i make a start
first off, turn the socket circuit mcb off in the 16th ed board, went back in and checked with socket and see, woah its still live, lucky i checked
so i went back outside and turned off the other socket mcb, back in to check, and still live? im confused now.
daughter was in the shower so i couldnt go any further at that point, so assisted in ripping out the kitchen, and found this

DSC_0077_zps75bf1799.jpg

ok looks knackered but its being replaced anyway.

daughters out of the shower so i went back out and turned off the rcd for the protected side,(actually it was already off) back in and its still showing live

so back out again, turned everything off, took cover off the board and there it was..............
at some point, someone had rcd nuisance tripping so they had the bright idea of linking out the rcd (not sorting the fault) only the muppet only did the live, and left the neutral, yet it had still worked????
put the links back as it should of been, left power off and went back to doing what i was there for.
started at that knackered socket from earlier, OMFG

DSC_0078_zps8c08ed22.jpg

there was a neutral earth fault.........................................

suddenly it was all clear, the reason everything worked was because it was running live to earth, back feeding down the cpc of the kitchen ring

but hold on, the shower and cooker were also on the rcd??????

yep 2 ring mains, cooker, and shower were all running down the neutral earth fault in that socket, and had been for about 2 years. amazingly the cpc survived intact, and ring tested ok

"Fault"
Dishwasher and washing machine supplys not working

Had a look at the DB it was from the 70's

put a socket tester into the socket above the work tops, all fine

pulled the washing machine out, socket test failed

followed the supply cable to dishwasher, the followed it up through the drilled hole in the work top to a old 13a plug pushed into a socket on the main kitchen ring main.

there is you problem i said! a diy extension lead running your appliances

not a pretty sight!

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net