Discuss Testing and signing off mobile catering units. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

A friend of mine wants me to help him out renewing/converting trailers and horse boxes to be used for catering of film sets or in the public.

I've got all the info I can get from Section 717 but what I'm not sure about it to what level I need to test and how certifying comes into play.

I'll more than likely be putting up a board for lights, sockets and then a fryer and I believe the unit will either run off a generator or be plugged in to a nearby supply when possible.

Once I've completed the electrical work should I be filling in an Electrical Installation Certificate and marking down specifically what the unit is?

Once the dead testing and live testing is completed can I issue the certificate as is (filled in) and just pass it off to the client?

For anyone who works on these units, do you recommend 6 monthly interval or 1 year for retesting?

If all the appliances are new they won't need PAT testing but it should be recommended for next year when the electrical testing is due, correct?

If I've missed anything please let me know as this is really new for me and he wants to start churning 10 out per year!

Thanks.

TL;DR
Wiring trailers for catering and need advice on testing and signing off.
I would imagine film sets have very strict rules over the use of electrical equipment so will probably want PAT on all items whether new or not.
It's only new because YOU know it is, I doubt they'll accept a receipt of purchase.

I do know that Glastonberry are Very strict on it.

A friend of mine wants me to help him out renewing/converting trailers and horse boxes to be used for catering of film sets or in the public.

I'll more than likely be putting up a board for lights, sockets and then a fryer and I believe the unit will either run off a generator or be plugged in to a nearby supply when possible.

Once the dead testing and live testing is completed can I issue the certificate as is (filled in) and just pass it off to the client?

On a film set, festival site, pretty much any event, BS7909 is applicable. This mostly just references BS7671 as far as the actual catering unit is concerned but it would be wise to be aware of it nonetheless.
BS7909 is especially applicable if the unit is to be run from a generator.

Yes an EIC should be completed (obviously live test results arent necessary) and ideally a copy kept with the catering unit so that it can be shown to the relevant person each time it is used.
In an ideal world live tests would be carried out for every new supply it is connected to, but in practical terms its not normally possible.

On a film set, festival site, pretty much any event, BS7909 is applicable. This mostly just references BS7671 as far as the actual catering unit is concerned but it would be wise to be aware of it nonetheless.
BS7909 is especially applicable if the unit is to be run from a generator.

Yes an EIC should be completed (obviously live test results arent necessary) and ideally a copy kept with the catering unit so that it can be shown to the relevant person each time it is used.
In an ideal world live tests would be carried out for every new supply it is connected to, but in practical terms its not normally possible.
Thanks for the reply.

Carrying out live tests won't be an issue as they're going to be done in a workshop. At least it's proving operation of the RCBO's etc.

Would you just "N/A" items like the earthing arrangement, main fuse details and anything else that is irrelevant on the certificate?

I'll be covering my back by having a "recommended next inspection for one year or upon relocation of unit" or something along those lines won't I?

Thanks for the reply.

Carrying out live tests won't be an issue as they're going to be done in a workshop. At least it's proving operation of the RCBO's etc.

Would you just "N/A" items like the earthing arrangement, main fuse details and anything else that is irrelevant on the certificate?

I'll be covering my back by having a "recommended next inspection for one year or upon relocation of unit" or something along those lines won't I?

I agree an RCD test is needed, but a Zs is largely pointless as it is not connected to the supply it will be operated on, therfore proving ADS is not possible.
The implications of this as far as providing RCD protection goes is hopefully obvious.

I would create a suitable certificate for the purpose if I knew I would be doing a lot of these.
If its a one off then I would obviously put N/A in boxes that are not applicable.

I don't know if recommending an impractical testing regime such as every time it is relocated will cover your back or not.

Hi, just wanted to jump on this thread as I'm currently in the finishing stages of fitting out a coffee van and need to get the electrics looked at and signed off. The problem I'm having, which I'm sure is common one, is that for literally months now I've been unable to find anyone who is willing to do the work.
I keep getting told to find an auto electrician but I don't think that's strictly correct (it might be for the DC side) as there's plenty of info on the NIC website as they likely don't deal with AC too much.
Perhaps a lot of people have similar questions to the OP and that's the reason they just say no to the job.

Sorry if that's a little off this topic and I'm happy to start a different thread somewhere if that's more appropriate. Any advice would appreciated as I'm kind of desperate now!

Cheers,
Chris

Hi, just wanted to jump on this thread as I'm currently in the finishing stages of fitting out a coffee van and need to get the electrics looked at and signed off. The problem I'm having, which I'm sure is common one, is that for literally months now I've been unable to find anyone who is willing to do the work.
I keep getting told to find an auto electrician but I don't think that's strictly correct (it might be for the DC side) as there's plenty of info on the NIC website as they likely don't deal with AC too much.
Perhaps a lot of people have similar questions to the OP and that's the reason they just say no to the job.

Sorry if that's a little off this topic and I'm happy to start a different thread somewhere if that's more appropriate. Any advice would appreciated as I'm kind of desperate now!

Cheers,
Chris
DM me if you want, I know some people around your way I can probably put you in touch with. All the 'permanent' mains catering kit just needs an EIC and a PAT for the mobile stuff.

Reply to Testing and signing off mobile catering units. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net