Discuss Testing for dead in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
When testing for dead why is the use of a multimeter ( set to AC volts ) NOT a recommended method?
In the same vein can then a MFT als NOT be used?

Test lamp is the easiest but I am just wondering what the reasoning is for the other methods not being suitable?

When testing for dead why is the use of a multimeter ( set to AC volts ) NOT a recommended method?
In the same vein can then a MFT als NOT be used?

Test lamp is the easiest but I am just wondering what the reasoning is for the other methods not being suitable?

The wrong scale could be selected on them. Furthermore, they may not comply with GS38.

The wrong scale could be selected on them. Furthermore, they may not comply with GS38.

How about the autoranging types? I have used this one for years whilst repairing TV /Video/audio equipment and i'm still alive today!!
It would appear a blanket " do not use" is a bit harsh??

Attachments

• meter.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 33
How about the autoranging types? I have used this one for years whilst repairing TV /Video/audio equipment and i'm still alive today!!
It would appear a blanket " do not use" is a bit harsh??

What if you had it set on the ohmic scale by mistake?

You would think so.

Approved voltage indicators are just that, no switches or buttons just a couple of probes and neons. That is what they want to see you using.

Or amps setting

Had a email sent to me by someone I work with regarding about someone who used a multimeter on the wrong setting and ended up with second degree burns because of using it on the wrong scale.

With this model current measurement entails swapping the leads round to diffrent sockets.. Your not trying to tell me that a qualified electrician would do that , set the meter to current and connect it to an ac supply???

With this model current measurement entails swapping the leads round to diffrent sockets.. Your not trying to tell me that a qualified electrician would do that , set the meter to current and connect it to an ac supply???

Yes because thats how accidents happen, you measure somethings get distracted pick up the meter don't check then bang, that is why if you had a accident and you get hurt, are off work for 3 days or more expect a visit from the HSE for not using a test instrument (as advised in an earlier posting) to GS 38 and possible prosecution by them.

Its not really about what an electrician might do, however, it is possible with a slight error in judgement or lack of concentration, that the meter could be on the incorrect scale.

This is why there are approved voltage indicators that are available and are preferred.

Edit: Ian beat me to it.

Cheers guys... Thats fair enough... I still dont beleive a qualified guy could make that mistake.. Even though the internal fuse would blow before any damage was done... Subject closed but I for one will continue to use what I have .. Thanks again for the input

just on a final note ive been using my multimeter for years and accident and setting free. I used a multimeter simply because its what my tradesman always used. Im eagerly waiting on the delivery of my new set of fluke testers t50 decided to take the plunge, will be hard getting used to using them to start though

You would think so.

Approved voltage indicators are just that, no switches or buttons just a couple of probes and neons. That is what they want to see you using.
so are FLUKE T5-1000 not good for testing for dead as this device has setting for resistance, voltage and current

Reply to Testing for dead in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net